41. Haunted By The Past

Clara

There was a party arranged on the third day of the conference. At first, I dressed myself in dress pants and a button down shirt but then Amber saved me from embarrassing myself and told me that it was a really formal party and I need to wear something classy, like a dress.

Without having to ask, she lended me one of her dresses, probably after realising that I didn't bring anything like that with me. This was the second time I was wearing her dress and it made me feel a little awkward. But I didn't want to embarrass my boss by underdressing for the occasion so I didn't argue.

The dress that she gave me was a red body con dress with two thin spaghetti straps holding it up. Although the dress reached below my knee, it was a little too tight for my taste.

Straightening my wavy hair and then curling the tips, I let them down freely on my shoulder. After applying some makeup and stepping into heels, I was ready to go to the party.

Throwing my mobile and purse in a handbag, I made my way to the elevator. The hall where the party was supposed to be was on third floor. Many reporters were lined outside it, trying to catch a single answer from the businessmen and businesswomen going inside.

Once I reached the door, the guard asked me for my invitation card, which I didn't have because I was just a secretary. Amber had told me specifically that I should be there with her but I totally forgot about the entry thing.

Shit. I should have come with her.

"I don't have one. My boss, Amber Stevens, she is inside. I'll call her and she will come get me." I said to the guard and he frowned at me.

"Back off until then." he said rudely and attempted to push me away but stopped when a hand landed on my waist.

"She is with me." It was Aaron's voice. I looked up to watch him glaring at the guard, his hand gently brushing over my back. He showed him his card and the rude guard let me inside. All the while, Aaron kept him hold on me which caused small tingles all over my back. He was wearing a black three piece suit and he looked really attractive in it.

Once we were inside, he pulled his hand away and I mentally frowned at the sudden loss of warmth. Before I could thank him, he had already moved forwards to talk to someone, leaving me standing behind.

Sighing, I looked around awkwardly. Amber was right. Everyone was dressed in fancy gowns and business suits, drinking champagne or wine and decently conversing among themselves.

I felt so out of place, even though I have been to such parties before with Dad. But it has been a long time since then. Now the closest I go to a party is a night out with Ava once in six months.

Not wanting to stay in centre, I moved to a lonely corner where nobody could see me. Picking up a glass of wine, I took a small sip and the sharp taste burnt my tongue.

"Here." a blue glass appeared in front of my face. "Contrary to popular beliefs, this blueberry juice tastes much better than this expensive wine." The same voice said.

I angled my neck to look at the source of the voice. He was a tall guy, with black curly hair and glasses. He was dressed in a shirt and business pants, exactly what I was planning to wear.