Chapter 7: Setup

⭐️Chapter 7: Setup

The next morning, everyone was able to get their sleep (Rider still sleeping in as usual, he needed this the most) and they met up in a different part of the square, since this party would be a surprise.

"Ok, so Prince has a list, Off the Hook has agreed to help us, what else?"

Gloves was going to lead this, despite this being Nana and Flip's idea, because he seemingly had the motivation to do it. Only Rider objected to him leading it, solely because he thought Gloves wouldn't be careful, but the others assured him that it would be alright.

"Should the square be in a splatfest mode?" Flip asked. 

That was usually a good night setup, since that's when splatfests were.

"Probably, but on a lesser scale I guess, since the stages won't be splatfest-like?" Nana replied.

"True." Flip said, thinking more.

Gloves wrote that down.

Rider was still grumpy about the possibility of shadowlings, but nobody seemed to want to listen to him. He had decided to let it go for now, but if something happened, boy would he bash everyone for it.

"Ok so the lights are covered, food and drink is covered...what about the stage? Not the turfing stage but um...you know, the one in the square?" 

Gloves was looking at the list, the one Prince had made.

"That's Off the Hook's thing" Emperor reminded him.

"Right, right..." he crossed that off the list.

"Should we invite anyone?" Goggles asked. They had made many friends from other places.

"Nah, just keep it here within Inkopolis Square." Rider said. 

He didn't need other people involved in this. Besides, it would only make it worse if the shadowlings showed up and got to them. He didn't want the squidbeak to be blamed for something they didn't know was going to happen.

"Ok." Gloves crossed out the suggestion on the list.

"So, is it time to set up the party?" Prince asked, waiting to make sure everyone was ready.

"I guess it is!" 

Gloves checked the list one last time, and, although there were still things not crossed off on there, he would ask the others when it came to that.

And so, ladders were brought and the group spent the day putting up streamers and boards for square posts. Off the Hook had given them permission to, as they agreed with the party. They got a signed paper too, in case anyone asked. Yes, they did have to flash it to a few people, and some shop owners too, but no big problems came from it.

Occasionally they would goof off, like Goggles shaking the ladder Rider was on and nearly scaring him half to death, or tying people up in ribbons and streamers because the group was bored. There was something about stealing food, but Rider made sure nobody ever did that. So thankfully the food they got was a support snack from Crusty Sean.

Soon, other cephalos wanted to join them in helping, as they insisted eight people wasn't enough to set up a party for thousands. The squidbeak decided to allow them to help for a few things, just because it would help and make things go a lot quicker. They made sure nobody stole anything, and checked each person that joined in helping them. While it did seem like a bit much, the shadowling threat was enough to keep them suspicious and on guard. The people that did help them however, made good work out of it. They also seemed to be aware of the shadowlings threat as well, as when one person brought it up, many others joined in the conversation. It was all about safety and worries that something would happen.

"I didn't expect them to talk about the shadowlings..." Hachi mumbled.

He stood next to Gloves, having carried plastic folding tables, metal frames and chairs. Gloves meanwhile, had helped with decor and also moving tables.

The group had kept the reason of the party a secret, of course.

"Well I mean. We DID just raise awareness." Gloves turned to look at him. 

The rest of the squidbeak were helping the other cephalos that had joined them.

"Well yeah, I was pretty sure they knew about it, but I didn't know if they were going to talk about it or not..." Hachi yawned. 

This stuff was hard work.

"Well now you know."

"Yeah..."

Hachi thought for a moment.

"Do you think they have their suspicions about the party?"

Hachi had suspected that a sudden party out of nowhere would seem suspicious...

"Probably, but we haven't told them too much about it..." Gloves shrugged. 

Actually, the cephalos working with the squidbeak were also asking them about the shadowlings. The group had to restrain from saying much, either faking surprise, going along with the chat, or in Rider's case, just not replying at all.

"And we should probably keep it that way." Hachi said.

"Yeah...." Gloves sighed.

In the end, they had managed to complete all the work needed. They sat down in the chairs by Crusty Sean's truck, exhausted but glad it was done.

"This is gonna be an EPIC party..."

Gloves hi-fived everyone (except Rider because he refused) and the group stood back and admired their work. They had done a pretty nice job. Off the Hook was preparing, themselves. The squid sisters would not be involved in the party, as they still had to watch over Octo Canyon, but Marie said she would try and keep watch.

They all smiled.

Everything was going to be great.

Everything was going to be amazing.

Everything was going to be perfect.

-----

Prince tossed and turned, having awoken from sleep a few minutes ago.

While he was ready for tomorrow, he hoped this shadowling thing would be over soon. He was tired of Emperor watching over him like this.

He remembered the time when Emperor let him lead the team on his own...

"Be the king you want to be."

He sighed and fell back asleep.

-----

"Sir!"

"Hmm?"

"One guard around the outskirts of inkopolis has gotten word of a party."

"When?"

"Tomorrow night, sir."

"A nighttime party? Perfect night to strike."

"Brother, I still don't think this is-"

"Hush, dear Ebony. You'll see. We already have a plan, and the Shadow 6. We will not mess up."

"Ugh..."

"Remember what I said."

"I know, I know..."

"Now..."

Noir turned to 6 figures next to him.

"Prepare for an attack."