Chapter 43: Mazing

⭐️Chapter 43: Mazing

Hachi stared.

He had a few things to take in. One, he was at the center of the maze. Two, there was a MAP in the center that he could read to get out. Three, NEGRO was sleeping in the corner. Maybe he could just...look at the map without disturbing him? He carefully approached it, making sure not to snap any twigs. It was a small, medium-height pillar, and on top of it was a square block of metal, with a pattern etched onto it. Hachi tiptoed closer to inspect it.

He pointed at the middle of it, to keep track of where he was. Okay, the exit was near the upper right...would he be able to phase through all those walls though? He began to try and map out a way out of here. Turn left...right...right...wait...no. Maybe he could turn here, and then phase through two walls instead? Would he have the energy to? He struggled to keep his eyes open. He had to make sure he didn't cross a path twice, as he wasn't feeling the best at the moment.

He couldn't focus. He was so tired, he was yawning every other breath. He needed to sleep, but he couldn't. He needed to stay up, keep going. If he didn't get out of here, he would sleep until morning, and who knows what would've happened by then. He felt himself start to lose posture, and began to sit down, only to stand back up again. No, not today.

"If you're tired, then just take a nap."

Hachi froze.

Slowly, he turned to the corner. Negro's eyes weren't open, but he was sure it was him. Was it him? He couldn't tell, but that calm yet intimidating voice definitely sounded like him.

"What? I got here like...2 hours ago? Dunno, but I haven't fallen asleep yet. Convenient of you to show up though" Negro continued.

Hachi stared at him. Well, this was his chance for a 1v1, but uh. Here? At night? In a small, closed off space that didn't give them much room? When Hachi was tired and would probably fall asleep during battle and would allow for an easy loss? Uh-uh. He needed to have the energy for it. He was not about to lose unfairly when the team had specifically planned to fight them at their weakest.

"Well. All I'm trying to do is get out of here..." Hachi grumbled.

"Don't you people have like. A plan to defeat us or something?" Negro said as he stood up, stretching.

"Uh."

Should he tell him? Or did he already know at that point?

"I mean it's fine, just. If you're gonna rest beforehand, then do it" he continued, moving his head around some.

Hachi hesitated. Was there a catch? It sounded too good to be true. In fact, this was just like when they were leaving inkopolis. Negro had seemingly taken the bait, only for the group to realize the map had been stolen. Hachi didn't trust him too much...

"I would, but how do I know you're not gonna pull a "fly away" or "kidnap and take advantage of" on me?"

"Because I'm just as tired and want this over with so I can sleep more" Negro grumbled.

Hachi thought for a moment. Was there something they could do? He still didn't trust Negro with fighting fairly. Maybe he could try to reason with him?? How effective would that be though...he would have to find out for himself.

"Well. Do you have a cure for our...tiredness?" Hachi said, with a yawn in between.

"I can use my power to keep us awake...but it might not be pleasant"

"Ah. Well. Surely it can't be that bad?"

Hachi surely hoped he was right-

Suddenly, he felt something zap his body. He shot awake. Negro was right, it wasn't pleasant. It felt like he was being forced awake, via caffeine or some other unpleasant thing. And almost immediately too, which made his head hurt some. But he was awake. He had less energy, but he could adjust to this.

"Was that painful?" Negro asked.

"I'm awake, I'll say that...the only other things that need covering are light and the spacing we have" Hachi replied, trying to get used to this new...and rather uncomfortable feeling.

Negro took a look around. Hachi was right, this cramped space simply would not do. Especially since they were blasters, as less space meant more chance of getting hit. It was kind of an evened out situation. Sure, Negro could hit Hachi with the close range, but Hachi could also hit Negro, and that was something they didn't want in a battle.

"I suppose you're right. Well, luckily for you, I can fix both of those things..."

And with that, he raised his hand. Shadow waves popped up around the walls of the maze. He brought his hand down, and Hachi watched in amazement as all of the walls of the maze except the outer ones fell down. Geez, this maze was bigger than he had thought! It was very flat though, with the occasional carved stone here and there, just like the ones Hachi had seen before. He could even see the entrance a tiny bit if he squinted enough, as it was marked by some big stones around it.

But wait.

The exit.

It was obvious now, it was clearly in the upper right corner as stated on the map. Dare he make a dash for it instead? What would happen if he tried? Would Negro care? He didn't have to answer, as Negro took out his disc blaster and fired several shots into the sky. The ink rained down on them, and although it stung, it illuminated the place with glowing yellow flecks. That probably meant he was set on battle, so Hachi would have to try and face him.

"I hope you're ready" Negro mumbled, pointing his blaster at Hachi.

"You bet I am" Hachi replied.

And with that, the two took aim and the battle begun.