6

I try to sneak into class. I'm only running 3 minutes behind but that doesn't matter to Miss Bell. Late is late. We've all heard it one thousand times. The girls are still stretching when I walk in. Miss Bell's back is turned towards the group so maybe she won't notice. I sit my bag against the wall and fall into line.
"She's going to kill you." Samantha whispers to me.
"Shut up." I say reaching for my toes.
"Where were you?" Samantha moves her jet black hair from her face. Samantha Xin is the campus gossip. She will talk about anyone to anybody that will listen. If you don't want people to find out, you definitely don't tell Samantha.
"I over slept." I begin to regret standing next to her.
Miss Bell turns around and takes her place at the front of the class. She clears her throat and looks around the room.
"Good morning ladies and gentlemen." Miss Bell seems different today. More relaxed. Calm.
The class says good morning back.
"It is not lost on me that lately I have been a bit hard on you all, even by my standards. I was going through some things in my private life and I let it affect my teaching. I'm sorry. I hope you all will accept my apology and continue to trust me going forward."
The room is quiet but we all nod.
Miss Bell smiles. "Thank you. As part of my apology, I'll be cutting class short today. We'll do a performance piece to keep you all sharp and then you'll be dismissed."
There are some whoops and cheers scattered around the room.
"Also, thank you Katia for joining us today."
I wince. I thought she didn't notice. I hear Samantha chuckle so I jab her in the side. We finish up our stretches and Miss Bell turns the music on. Everyone loves this piece. We take our places and begin. When I dance I imagine this is how birds feel. I am my most free when I'm moving my body to the rhythm. My main focus is ballet but I love it all. Jazz, tap, hip hop, or contemporary, you name it and I'll do it.
"Robin, you lead!" Miss Bell calls out. Periodically she'll call out a random name to lead a certain arrangement. It's a lot of fun because you never know when she'll call your name. Miss Bell taps her cane on the floor along to the counts.
"Katia! Lead." She shouts over the music.
I take my place at the front of our formation. I dance with all of my heart. The soreness that I felt moments before class is ushered out by adrenaline and excitement.
Miss Bell continues to call out different names until rehearsal is over. Everyone claps and begins to leave. I grab my bag but Miss Bell calls my name. I cringe but I knew I'd have to pay for my tardiness.
After everyone is gone I meet Miss Bell at her station. She's so beautiful.
"Yes ma'am?" I say quietly.
"Tardiness isn't like you. Are you okay?" She asks. Her light Hazel eyes piercing mine.
"I'm fine. Thank you." It was kind of her to even ask. "Are you okay?" Did I just ask her that aloud?
She seems just as surprised as I am that I asked. "I am now. Thank you for asking, Katia." She smirks. There's something so wickedly charming about her. Miss Bell grabs her belongings and struts towards the door. Her pants are hugging her in all the right places. She looks back at me.
"Are you staying?" She asks.
I snap out of my trance. I'm basically drooling at this point. "No ma'am." She holds the door open for me and we go out opposite ways.