22

We're sitting in the lobby waiting for me to be called for my audition. Mistress is as poised and calm as ever. Legs crossed and humming the last song we heard on the radio, she doesn't seem the least bit worried. I, on the other hand, am a complete and utter mess. My stomach is in knots. "Nervous" doesn't begin to describe the feeling.
"Katia." Mistress says flipping through the magazine in her hands.
"Ma'am?"
She puts the magazine down and turns towards me. "You don't need to be nervous, love. You could do this in your sleep. Just go in there and show them what you show me everyday in class."
"What if something goes wrong?" I ask.
"Do you want to know a secret?" She asks leaning closer to me. I wish she wouldn't, it's so hard to resist her.
I swallow the ball of lust forming in my throat and nod.
"My first big audition they didn't even let me dance because I forgot my shoes." She admits.
I burst out laughing. "What?!"
"It's true." She chuckles. "The point is, one audition doesn't define your future. You will still be a wonderful dancer after you leave here. If you get this, great. If not, that's okay. It's important that you try your best and have fun doing what you love. The opportunities will come."
I smile. I feel better. After all, at the very least, I didn't forget my shoes. "Thank you ma'am."
The double doors swing open and a tall slender man walks out with a clipboard. He scans the room slowly until his eyes land on Mistress.
"Christine?" He says joyfully.
She looks up and smiles, "Michael. Hi, how are you?" She stands and they embraced each other quickly.
"Chris if you wanted a role you should have just told me. It's yours." Michael says.
Mistress chuckles. "No. I'm just here for moral support today."
Michael's eyes drift to me. He smiles politely. "You are?"
I stand. "Katia Galanos. Nice to meet you."
"Don't speak too soon." He smirks. "I'm excited to see what you have for us today. Thank you for coming out." He reaches out to shake my hand.
"Thanks for having me." I take his hand in mine.
He smiles before turning back to the group and looks at his clipboard. He calls out a name and a girl follows him into the auditorium. This process goes on and on until he gets to me. I look at Mistress.
"Break a leg." She says.
I nod and follow Michael. There are a thousand bees buzzing, swirling inside my belly. I may puke. I take the stage as Michael takes his seat on the panel of judges. The house lights dim and the music starts. The more I move the less nervous I feel. I dance like the only one watching is Mistress. I can hear her in my head, feel her hands on my back. She's the only one I want to impress. Before I know it, my song is over and I'm finished.
"That was beautiful, Katia. Thank you." A lady from the panel says.
I bow and exit the auditorium. Mistress stands when she sees me. "Well?" She asks.
"I think it went well. I realized I was leaning when I was supposed to be straight but I fixed it immediately. They probably didn't notice or at least I hope not. I don't know. Maybe I did better last night. It all happened kind of fast." I'm rambling and my hands are shaking. I'm nervous again. This time about callbacks.
She puts a comforting hand on my back. I take a deep breath. "Okay," she says, "let's just have a seat and wait for them to post callbacks."
I nod and sit down beside her. I wish I could hold her hand. It would calm me down. We watch each person get called back one by one until the last person is finished. It's been a while since the last person came back.
"Relax, baby." Mistress whispers. "You've got this."
Before I can respond, Michael comes strutting through the doors carrying his clipboard and an extra sheet of paper in his hands.
"Thank you all for coming out, as you know we can't take you all so we've made cuts. This," he holds up the paper in his hand, "is a list of names. If your name is on the list, congratulations you made it. Report back here, Monday at five am. Thank you." Michael posts the list on the board and walks away. People quickly gather around to see if their name is present. I remain seated.
"You're not going to look?" Mistress asks.
"Can you?" I ask.
She chuckles. "Yes."
She gets up and searches the paper for my name. I can't watch her reaction. I don't want to know until she says it. A moment later she walks back over. I look up at her.
"Congratulations." She says smiling.
"What? Really?" I ask. My heart is slamming against my chest.
"Yes really. You made it."
I could scream. Oh my god. I jump up and hug her. I feel like I can breathe again.