56

Christine

The hospital room's door opens, and I assume it's Katia's parents. It's not. Katia sits up and beams at our visitor.
"Elaine!" She says with a toothy smile. The only time I've seen her actually smile since she's opened her eyes. She's testing me. I can't let her see that its bothering me. The logical part of me knows she's acting out because she's scared. However, my emotional senses are seething with jealousy.
Elaine smiles. "Hi, you." She hugs her and Katia squeezes her back. The hug lingers.
Don't react, Chris. Relax. This is a game. I'll consider it role playing. I like role playing.
"It's good to see you awake." Elaine says after they finally let go of each other.
"It's good to see you too. I've missed you." Katia doesn't take her eyes off of Elaine. "Are those for me?" She points to the flowers.
Elaine winces. "They're actually for Chris." She smiles at me. "She's been keeping fresh flowers in here. I thought I'd bring them this time. So in a way yes?"
"Oh." Katia says, clearly upset that Elaine has foiled her evil plans.
"Hi, Elaine." I say. I take the flowers from her.
"Heyyyy." We embrace.
"I'll put these in some water. Thank you." I say motioning to the flowers. I leave the two of them alone for a moment while I throw out the old flowers and fill the vase with fresh water. I can hear Katia laughing about something. She's obviously exaggerating her laughter, trying to make me jealous. It's lost on me why she's so hellbent on getting me to leave. Is she afraid I'll leave eventually so she's just trying to rush the process? Does she feel like she's inadequate now? Has she really bumped her little head that hard, that she honestly does not love me anymore? My heartbreaks from the thought. No. She loves me. I just need to wait. I'll wait and everything will slowly but surely go back to how it used to be. Patience is key. Yeah. I just have to be patient. I can do that.
"Remember all the naps we used to take together on your couch and in your bed. Your bed was probably the most comfortable place I've ever slept." Katia says.
I'm going to kill her.
Elaine looks uncomfortable. "Umm yeah. I remember, Kat."
"I like it when you call me, Katia." She tucks Elaine's hair behind her ear and smiles at her.
I roll my eyes and place the vase of flowers directly in the sunlight. They're pretty.
Elaine stands up. "Chris, can I talk to you for a second. Like... in private?"
"Sure." I follow her outside of the hospital room.
"Hey, I'm sorry. I don't know-"
I cut her off before she goes any further. "It's fine, Elaine. It's not you. She hasn't really been herself since she's come out of the coma. She's flirting with you to make me jealous. She's trying to make me leave."
"Why the hell would she want that?" Elaine frowns as she asks.
"I just think she's scared."
She nods her head and shoves her hands into her pockets. "I understand but maybe I should say something?"
"Kandace already tried. Olivia and Tori were here too. She went crazy on all of them." I explain. "Just let her do what she has to do."
"Okay."
We start to walk back inside but I stop her. "Unless she tries to kiss you. Do not kiss my wife."
Elaine pretends to be sad. "Just take all the fun out of this then."
I laugh. "Watch it."

______________________

Katia

Nothing I do seems to bother Chris. I purposefully put on a show when Elaine walked it. I've been flirting with and basically completely ignored the fact that she was still in the room. I've done everything short of kiss this woman in the mouth. Maybe I should. No. Too far, Katia. Too far.
"Kat, do you want to go for a walk?" Elaine asks.
I stare at her blankly. Is she trying to be funny now?
"Poor word choice, I suppose. I'm sorry." She sincerely apologizes.
"I don't know if I can."
"Sure you can. I'll get a wheelchair for you." Elaine springs into action and leaves the room to speak to a nurse.
"Would you rather be with Elaine?" Christine asks.
"What?"
"Would you prefer to be dating Elaine instead of married to me?"
Absolutely not. "Why? Are you jealous or something?"
"Would it matter to you if I was? Do my feelings mean anything to you?" She asks. Perhaps at first she was trying to keep a strong front, but now the sadness is shining through her eyes. I kind of feel bad. I don't want her to be sad, especially because of me.
"I mean.." I shrug, "yeah. Duh." I look away from her. Why am I being such a bitch to her?
"Are you sure because it doesn't really seem like it."
"Yes, I'm sure or I wouldn't have said it. Jesus." I snap.
Elaine and a nurse walk in. Thank God. They both help me get out of bed and into the cold leather seat of the wheelchair.
"Chris, are you coming?" Elaine asks.
"No. I think I'll hang back and maybe get some new sheets for her bed and things like that." Chris looks down at her feet. Fuck. I'm such an asshole.
"Okay. We'll be back."
Chris nods and we leave the room. Elaine begins pushing me and at first our little adventure starts in silence. We pace through the white halls and terrible fluorescent lights. There's a single blue tile in the middle of the floor for every three whites tiles. I count them in my head until we're outside. There's a garden out here. It's pretty. The bright colors of the flowers are a far cry from the monotony of inside. I can feel the heat of the sun soak into my skin, seeping into my bones. I try to inhale as much fresh air as I can.
"Why are you being so bitchy to Chris?" Elaine asks abruptly. She wheels me to a nearby picnic table and sits down beside me.
"I didn't realize I was."
"Don't be a liar, Kat." Elaine pulls a candy bar from her purse. "Want some?"
"I don't think I like those."
"What?" She laughs. "Yes you do."
I frown. "Do I really?" It sucks not being able to remember things about myself.
She nods and breaks a piece off for me. "Here. Try it."
I put it in my mouth and it's delicious. "Oh. I do like it. Thank you."
She gives me another piece. "Now back to you treating poor Chris like shit."
I hang my head in shame. "I don't know."
"Well you need to figure it out. This entire situation sucks. I know but Chris is really trying to make the best out of it. She literally has not left your side." Elaine says staring at me the way a disapproving mother would. "And YOU are sabotaging yourself and your relationship because....?"
I swallow the chocolate in my mouth. "Because... what if reality hits and she doesn't want me anymore. What if she changes her mind about me. She doesn't deserve to be with a burden." I confess. That's all I am right now and maybe that's all I'll ever be. She doesn't deserve that. She's been through enough shit because of me.
"So... you're scared?" She says. There's no judgment in her voice. Maybe just a little confusion.
"Yes. Obviously, Elaine."
"Why don't you just tell her that so she can comfort you? You don't have to hurt her feelings. That's only pushing her away." She pauses and thinks. "Though, try as you might, Chris probably won't go anywhere. You're her world. I don't know if your little accident has caused you to forget that or not."
"But that's what I want. I want her to go away. I want her to be free."
Elaine's brow wrinkles. "You don't get to decide what freedom looks like to her. She was in hell when you were in your coma. She probably feels on top of the world now that you're awake."
That makes me feel even worse. I can only imagine how hard that was for her.
"Do you feel any differently towards her? Like, are you still in love with her or has your head injury somehow changed that? I'm seriously asking."
"I do love her. That part of my brain is fully functioning. It's just my the memory and common sense department that isn't all the way there."
Elaine smiles. "You'll get it together soon, Kitty." She stands up. "Now, let's finish our walk."
"And roll." I add.
"That's clever. Walk n Roll. We should start a band." Elaine says.
I laugh. "I'll play the triangle while you pole dance."
"Oh but you remember that." Elaine ruffles my hair.
"I have that image in a vault." I tap my head and she giggles. My head. My hair. "Elaine, can you do something for me?"
"Anything. What's up?"

_______________________

Christine

Elaine and Katia have been gone for almost two hours now. What could they be doing? Katia doesn't have her cell and and Elaine's went to voicemail. I hope they're okay. Oh god what if Katia had a seizure or she passed out and no one has told me yet? No. Elaine wouldn't let me worry if it was something bad. Maybe they're just hanging out. Hopefully Katia's beloved Elaine can get her to get her head out of her ass. I miss her. The her she was before she hated me. The one that was actually happy to see me and let me love her. My affection levels are in dire need of some Katia cuddles.
Her bed is made with fresh sheets and new pillows and blankets. The nurse volunteered to make the bed but I wanted to do it. Anything to make me feel like I'm doting on her the way I really want to. Now I'm debating if I want to leave one of her stuffed animals on the bed or not. Will she even remember it or will it anger her? A single tear escapes my eye, followed by a few of its friends. I sniffle and decide against it. I shove Miss Quackers back into my bag. The door swings open. I get excited thinking it'll be Katia but instead it's her parents. They seem to hate each other a little less today. They're actually smiling at each other. Greg holds the door open for her and Kristopher to walk inside.
Greg looks at the empty bed and then back to me as I dry my eyes and sniffle. "Where is she?"
"Oh god. She's not... she didn't...?" Katherine's eyes go wide and full of worry.
"No. No. I'm sorry. She's fine. A friend of ours came and they went for a walk." I say.
They simultaneously exhale a sigh of relief.
"Hey Chris two! What's up?" Kristopher comes over and gives me a high five. We've become quite close. Dare I say friends even?
"Shouldn't you be Kris two? I was born first." I say.
He stops to really consider my statement then shakes his head no. "You're Chris two."
I nod. "Okay. That's fair. . . I guess."
"Where's the pain in my ass also known as Kandace?" Greg asks.
I chuckle. "She was here but her and Katia kind of bumped heads."
"Like goats!?" Kristopher asks.
His mother ignores his question. "Over what?"
"She's been difficult since she woke up." I say.
"What does difficult mean, Chris?" Gregory asks as he slides his hands into his pockets.
"It means don't be surprised if she tells you to.." I put my hands over Kristopher's ears, "fuck off."
Greg shrugs. "I've heard worse. I'll survive."
"Yeah. I just want to see her." Katherine agrees.
Just then the door opens again and in strolls Katia with a new hair do. Her long dark hair is almost completely chopped off. For a moment I am in utter shock but she's smiling. A real smile.
"Sweetie, what happened to your hair?" Greg asks
"I think it's lovely. You have a beautifully shaped head." Katherine compliments her. She's right. The haircut looks nice on her.
"Elaine cut it for me. I asked her to." Katia explains.
"Sissy!" Kristopher runs off to hug his sister.
Her eyes light up when she sees him. "Kristopher." She says quietly.
"You were sleep for a long long time. For days and days and days and days." Kristopher rolls his head back and forth." Mommy said you needed to rest your headache."
Katia chuckles. "Yeah. I did."
"Is it all better?"
"Almost."
"Kristopher, give your sister some space." Katherine says gently. Gregory and Katherine both greet Elaine. Elaine carefully distracts them with conversation.
"Do you want to get back into bed?" I ask Katia.
She shakes her head no and fiddles with her fingers.
"Are you okay?" I ask.
She gently takes my hand and places it on her head. I smile and stroke her newly short hair.
"I'm sorry." She says. "I shouldn't have spoken to you that way. I don't want to divorce you. I love you and I hope you'll forgive me."
"Of course I forgive you. Come here." I lean over and kiss her softly.
"Ewwww!!!" Kristopher shrieks and giggles, gaining the attention of everyone in the room.
Katia's cheeks go bloody red immediately. It's nice to see that much hasn't changed.