24

Christine's POV

It's been a month since Katia has started Blue Bird. I'm ecstatic for her. She's been working so hard. I miss her though. She's been so busy with rehearsal and school. Usually when she finally gets to me she's so tired we just cuddle and she goes to sleep. I'm at my desk planning my next class when the studio door opens. Well this is a surprise. She closes the door behind her and looks around.
"Miss Bell, do you have a second?" Olivia asks.
"Yes." I close my books and give her my attention. "Have a seat."
"Thanks." She sits in the chair across from me. "So it's about Kat." Olivia says. She seems nervous.
"What about her?" I ask.
"She would kill me if she knew I was here." She says. Her anxiousness is quickly turning into panic.
"Olivia." I say regaining her attention. "It's okay. Just tell me what's going on."
She takes a deep breath and sighs. "Okay so back in highschool Kat kind of had an eating disorder. She thought she was too fat to be a dancer. So she started skipping meals here and there. Then she stopped eating all together. One day in gym she just passed out. She had to go to the hospital and everything. It was bad."
I'm shocked. "I never knew that."
"She doesn't talk about it. It's like it never happened. After that her dad was on her back about meal times and calories and everything else. She had to take a year off from dancing, which killed her. I just don't want that to happen again."
I shake my head. "It won't, Olivia. Thank you for coming to me."
Olivia shrugs. "I just thought you should know since you're her... person now."
"I appreciate that."
"Yeah. No problem." Olivia looks contemplative as though there's something else she wants to say.
"Something else on your mind?" I ask.
Olivia shakes her head. "Nah." She stands up. "I have to go."
"Okay. Well thanks again."
She nods and leaves in a hurry. As far as awkward conversations go that wasn't the worst I've encountered. I sigh. My little Katia. What are you doing? I check my watch. It's almost lunch time. She should be free right now. I call her.
"I was just thinking about you." She says as she answers the phone.
"And I you. What are your lunch plans?" I ask.
"Umm.. I didn't really have any. I was just going to skip it and study for my biochem test."
"Well you have to eat and I miss you."
"Mistress you can't exactly sit down with me in the cafeteria or any restaurant really."
"I know. That's why I'm coming to your apartment. When's your next class?" I start cleaning off my desk.
"Your class." She sounds flustered.
"Okay. Perfect. I'll be there soon."
"Okay."
We end the call and I head out of the studio. Hopefully, Olivia is wrong. Maybe it just seems like she isn't eating but she is. Perhaps she's just dieting. There's nothing wrong with that. I've done it several times before a big performance. Spandex is not very forgiving.

I pick up some food from one of her favorite places and meet her at her place. She opens the door smiling.
"Come in. Come in." She's giddy. It's so cute. I come in and sit the food on the table.
"Hi baby." I say.
"Hi. Can I have a kiss?"
I pull her to me and kiss her gently. Obviously she doesn't want to stop. She moans into my mouth.
"I miss you so much." She says with her body still pressed against mine. "I can't wait until my schedule isn't as hectic."
"I miss you more." I say. I can not lose focus. She needs to eat. No matter how cute she is or how good her body feels against mine or how good she smells, I have to stay focused. She starts to unbutton my blouse but I grab her hand.
"Please." She says so sweetly.
"Not yet."
"But Master," she moans in my ear, "I need you now."
She is very persuasive. However, I will not be swayed. "Katia. Stop."
She pouts and I kiss her forehead. Close call. After I wash my hands we sit at the table and eat. Well I'm eating. Katia is just pushing her food around. I bought her a salad so there would be no reason not to eat it.
"What's wrong?"
"I don't want it." She says.
"Is it gross?"
She shakes her no. "I'm not really that hungry."
"You already ate?" I ask.
"No."
"Are you sick?"
She gives me an irritated look but says nothing.
"Katia. Are you sick?"
"No. I'm not sick. I just don't want the stupid salad." She gets up and slams the container in the trash.
"Katia!" I slightly raise my voice. It surprises her. I never do that.
"Don't yell at me!" She shouts.
"Just tell me what's wrong." I say calmly.
"Nothing. I just want to be alone. I'm tired." There are tears in her eyes. "Can you just go? Please." She turns away from me. I get closer to her and put my hand on her shoulder.
"Baby." I say gently.
She shrugs my hand off of her shoulder. "Don't. Just go." She quickly wipes her eyes.
I sigh. "Are you sure you want me to leave?" I ask.
"Yes."
My heart sinks a little. "Okay. See you in class."
"Ok."
I leave her apartment feeling saddened. Olivia is right. Something is very wrong.

_________________________________

Class is about to start and Katia isn't here. I'm getting worried. The rest of the class is beginning to take their places for warm up when Katia strolls in wearing a sweater over her leotard and throws her bag against the wall. She doesn't seem too worried about the time. She stands next to Samantha, who whispers something to her. Katia rolls her eyes and carelessly leans on the bar. I stand at the front of the room and begin leading them in stretches.
"Any volunteers to lead warm ups today?" I ask the class. They're all so shy. Still. You'd think in their three years they'd be a little more comfortable with me.
"I'll do it, Miss Bell." Katia says stepping out of the line.
I eye her for a second. "Okay Miss Galanos."
She comes to stand beside me and extends her hand.
"What?" I ask.
"Your cane. I need it if I'm going to be you." She's wearing this smug smile that makes me want to turn her over my knee. Samantha giggles a little. I hand Katia the cane.
"Thank you, Miss Bell." She turns to the class and starts their routine. She's doing a great job, of course. She's such a talented dancer, but she could jeopardize that if she's not practicing healthy habits. Not eating certainly doesn't fall under that category. I watch the class as they dance. They're all so gifted. I hope they reach their full potential. I know not all of them will become stars but I hope they find happiness in whatever they decide to do. I allow Katia to lead the entire class. Seems as though she's enjoying it. I never knew she was so bossy. So demanding. Is this how she normally acts? It occurs to me that I don't get to see or interact with her in social settings. All the time we spend together is here or home alone.
Class comes to an end but Katia doesn't leave like I expect her to. She does take off that sweater though. She's drenched in sweat.
"Do you have another class today?" She asks.
"No."
"I'm going to stay here and practice, if you don't mind."
"Maybe you should get some rest. Don't you have practice for Blue Bird tonight?"
She rolls her eyes. "I don't need rest. I'm fine. Also, if we're not in class I'm not talking to you." She walks away from me and looks through her bag. She finds a CD and puts into the stereo.
"What do you mean you're not talking to me?" I ask.
"Like as my girlfriend..... or whatever we are to each other, don't speak to me. We're not speaking. I know Olivia must have said something to you. She's the only person who knows. Since you two are so chummy, you can talk to her."
"She's just worried about you. So am I. You can't keep doing this to yourself, Katia."
She sighs and pushes play on the music. She takes her place and begins to dance. I sit at my desk and watch. I'm so worried about her. I'm afraid if I leave she might pass out. At this point she's pushing herself way too hard. Between my class, official Blue Bird rehearsal, and not eating there's no way she can have energy to do this. She's going to hurt herself. Her music ends and she starts it over again.
Again.
Again.
Again.
Again.

_____________________________________

It's about nine o'clock at night and I haven't spoken to Katia since we were in the studio. She made it clear she didn't want to speak to me outside of class. She's very upset. I just wanted to help. I'm worried sick about her. I pace back and forth from the kitchen to Katia's room. I sit on the bed and hold her pillow. It smells like her. Look at me. I'm a mess over her and it's not even been a day. I need to pull myself together. Elizabeth opens the door slowly and peeks in. She smiles when she sees me.
"Miss Christine." She says gently.
"Liz stop calling me that." I say a little rougher than I should have.
"Well excuse me." She puts her hands on her hips like the big sister she is to me.
I sigh. "I'm sorry. I'm just in a bad mood."
"Is it work?" She asks. It's not like me to be so distressed over a woman.
"No. It's Katia. We're not speaking."
Liz frowns and sits next me. "The last time a girl had you frenzy like this you were 17." Liz chuckles.
"It's not funny." I huff.
"I'm not laughing at you, Chrissy." She rubs my back. "It's just good to see you care about someone. Even if you two aren't on good terms right now. She'll come around."
"And if she doesn't?" I ask.
"Trust me, she will."
My phone begins to ring. It's her. I answer quickly.
"Katia."
"No, it's Olivia. Something happened. Come to The Colonial Hospital."
"I'm on my way." I say quickly. I grab my keys and rush out of the house.
"Chrissy, let me drive. You're too worked up." Liz says.
"Okay but hurry." I say frantically. There's a lump in my throat and knots in my stomach. I hope Katia is okay.