Story 22: One Summer, Two Twins

Summary: Based off of the real original plan for the final episode of Gravity Falls, as revealed by Alex Hirsch in his commentary on the Gravity Falls box set, this story follows Dipper and Mabel on the day before their 13th birthday, as they're packing up to head home. But when a chance encounter with one final unusual Gravity Falls anomaly takes them back to the past, both twins learn why saying goodbye is so hard for them, and just how much they've grown because of it.

"It won't fit Mabel! Put it in my suitcase," said Dipper.

Mabel sighed, "You promise not to break it? I spent ages crafting it."

"Your Clay Gummy Kola will be fine. Trust me."

Mabel laughed, "Ironic of you to say that given all this summer you lived by trusting no one."

He rolled his eyes as she gave him it to pack.

Dipper and Mabel were packing their bag as their summer drew to a close. It was warm August 30th morning. The twins wanted to get their packing done now so that tomorrow they could spend the whole day, their final whole day in Gravity Falls and their birthday, with those they cared for and loved.

As Mabel took the last of her posters down, she let out a sigh.

"Remember when I put up my first poster and then told you to check out all the splinters, I got from it?"

Dipper laughed, "Yeah. I was a bit too occupied with the fact Gompers was on my bed."

"I'll miss that goat. But I know Waddles will miss him the most. The two of them were supposed to go on their honeymoon next month."

The two laughed as they looked at their nearly empty room. It looked just like how it did when they first walked into it.

"Man, it feels weird knowing we'll be gone from here in a day," said Dipper.

"I know right," replied Mabel, "It's like only yesterday we were moving in here for the first time. I'm seriously gonna miss Gravity Falls. I mean, I feel more ready to say goodbye than I was before that whole Weirdmageddon junk...but then, I don't really wanna at the same time."

"Yeah. I almost don't even want to leave either. It feels kind of scary to think we'll be heading home to California soon. I guess, I just don't fully feel ready to deal with that yet after settling down here over the summer."

"I know right," said Mabel, "I guess I'm just saying this cause of nostalgia, but sometimes I still really wish this summer could last forever."

"Honestly, I get that feeling too now," said Dipper, "I'm gonna miss this place. We've made so many memories here and I don't want them to end either."

"Trust me Dipper...I know. I've filled up a suitcase full of scrapbooks to prove it."

Dipper laughed, "You and that Polaroid of yours."

"Hey, I play it old school," said Mabel, "Eighties music, eighties party fashion, eighties camera...you name it."

As the twins resumed packing, they heard a knock downstairs.

"Wonder who that is?" said Dipper.

The two walked down and opened the door. To their surprise, it was their old foe turned friend, Blendin.

"Oh, hey Blendin," said Mabel, "What's up?"

"Oh. H...Hey Mmm...Mabel. Not much a...at all," he said, "You two?"

"Same," said Dipper, "It's just a quiet day full of packing for us."

"Oh good," said Blendin with a sigh, "I...I came to warn you...you two about these time bubbles floating around here."