Epilogue

The sun had set. It was a beautiful late August evening in Gravity Falls Oregon. The fireflies were out in full force, lighting up the otherwise dark forests with their tail glow. Through them walked two twins as they approached home.

"And that's the story of how me, Candy and Grenda got married to vampires in the vampire dimension," said Mabel.

"So, let me get this straight," said Dipper, the three of you are thirty-five in that dimension?"

"We sure are. It was nice while it lasted. But we all got tired eventually of vampires."

Dipper blinked his eyes rapidly, "Wow Mabel. Guess that's one story you'd want to keep under wraps."

"Yeah," she said, "But I don't really mind. It's in the past now. In a universe far away."

The two kept walking through the woods.

"It sure is a lovely evening," said Dipper.

"Yeah," replied Mabel, "It really is making me miss Gravity Falls already. And we still have one more day left here."

"I know right. Hey, you know how earlier we were up on that peak and talking about all those stories we may never have heard of that happened down in the town?'

"Yeah?"

"Well, I was thinking and, while we do have stories we keep hidden, I guess they're for a reason."

"Yeah. I'm sure we both have big secrets and stories we've never told each other. Like how that whole vampire one I just told you was a story I kept secret until now."

"Exactly. And, to be honest, who cares if we don't know everything that went on in Gravity Falls? Some stories are better left untold after all."

Mabel pondered, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I mean, it maybe nice at first to know them all, but then it would get boring. There would be nothing worth labouring over to figure out."

"True. I mean, imagine if we knew who wrote those journals from the start. We'd have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime."

Dipper laughed, "Yeah. But I sort of may have loved to know that sooner than later. You know what I mean?"

Mabel gave Dipper a playful nudge, "Yeah, I know."

"But yeah, you're right. We'd have missed out on the adventure of a life time if we knew before hand. I guess that goes for all of Gravity Falls. If we knew everything that went on here, then there would be nothing to leave us wanting to come back for more."

"Yeah. I mean, we wouldn't want to come back next year if we knew everything."

"Kids! Dinner's ready!" yelled Grunkle Stan from the other side of the woods.

"Coming Grunkle Stan!" yelled back Dipper. He then looked back to Mabel.

"But at the same time, I think I'm also ready to take a break from this town for a while. I kind of want to move on to new things beyond the paranormal for a while. Then maybe come back once my obsession for it is refuelled."

"Yeah, I get ya bro," said Mabel, "I think we both need a break from this break of a vacation."

They both laughed.

"But hey, Gravity Falls will always be here, waiting for us to return."

Dipper nodded before he turned back to face the forest.

"Well Gravity Falls, see you soon. The Mystery Twins will be back."

"Have something cool ready for us when we do!" added Mabel.

"Kids!"

"Alright, let's go home before Grunkle Stan and Ford come out here with baseball bats."

Mabel laughed, "Yeah."

Dipper sighed, "Some things just don't change, don't they?"

Mabel sighed, "No, they don't Dipper. No, they don't."

Dipper and Mabel headed back home to the Mystery Shack and with that, their final day of childhood came to a close. With their teenage years and life ahead of them, they readied themselves to say farewell to this chapter of their lives.

And though we depart from Gravity Falls not knowing all that went down within it during the summer of 2012, that's okay. Not every story needs to end with every question solved. Not every adventure needs to be completed with every place explored. Not every stone needs to be overturned. If that's the case, then there would be nothing new left to discover or make up. Some stories just end without fully being complete. It's up to the reader then to fill in the gaps with their own ideas.

What happens next, what happened before, and what's happening right now, is in the hands of those who wish to keep it going. The next page is blank. It's up to you now to fill it up, and keep the adventure going for a long time to come. As for me, this is...

The End

Art by gryphsdeadbones on Tumblr