Chapter 30

Mikaela's POV

I was a nervous wreck by the time Ryan and I arrived at the studio at 7:45 Monday morning.

A few minutes later, Cole arrived.

"You ready to do this?" Cole asked.

I nodded.

Bob and John were a little surprised to see Cole there, but they knew that he and Ryan were friends, so they didn't question it.

I looked at Ryan and Cole, took a deep breath and crossed my fingers.

"Before we get started, there is something I want y'all to hear" I said.

I took out my phone and played Cody's version of the song. Bob's eyes got wide, John listened intently.

When it was over, Bob asked "Who is that guy."

"My friend Cody from Louisiana. He co-wrote the song."

"Is he signed with anyone?" John asked.

"No." I replied.

"Does he have any other work?" Bob asked.

"Yes. Tons. I don't think anyone out there would do this song any better. These are all his original music. If you want to hear some covers, I can get those too."

They sounded interested. I pulled up my "Cody file" and hit play.

I joined Ryan and Cole and waited.

About a half hour later, Bob and John came out of the office.

Cole stood up. "You need this guy. He's fresh, he's new, he has a great sound. He's also a veteran and former police officer. He can write, he can sing, and I bet with the right promoting, he will sell a ton of albums. If he needs mentoring, I will gladly help, as I'm sure Mikaela would."

God bless you Cole. I said to myself. I'm so glad he mentioned Cody being a veteran.

"He's not entirely green. He has a little bit of experience in the recording studio and performing. However, many people do not realize this because he is an independent artist. One of these songs was written from his experience as a police officer in Baton Rouge. Ironically, he wrote it after the Dallas police shooting in 2016. Just days before three officers from Baton Rouge were killed. He recorded it here, in Nashville. That song went viral on YouTube, but without a label to promote him, it didn't get nearly the attention it deserved, which is a damn shame. He also has a massive social media following. He knows how to play to a crowd and to entertain."

"How soon can he come to Nashville?" We'd love to meet with him." John said.

***********

I was bursting with excitement when I dialed Cody's number:

"Hey. What's up? You busy right now?" I asked.

"Eh, not really. What's going on Kaeli?" He asked.

"Have you considered giving Nashville another try?"

"What's the point. I don't have the money, I don't have the connections. I don't have the backing. I've told you this before." He sighed.

"What if I said you did have the connections and possibly the backing?" I grinned to myself as I spoke.

"Where are you going with this Kaeli? You are not making any sense."

"How soon can you get to Nashville?" I asked.

"Why? Again, you are not making sense." I could actually picture him rolling his eyes right now.

"How would you like to record our song, and maybe more? They want to meet with you"