Chapter 32

Mikaela's POV

The 2018 NASCAR season had finally ended. Ryan had finished tenth in the final standings.

We were looking forward to spending some quality time together. We were going to be busy though. After Thanksgiving, we would be in Las Vegas for the NASCAR awards banquet. Then we were heading to Hawaii for a week.

My tour started January 5th and would wrap up February 10th in Daytona.

It worked out perfectly because Ryan would be on the road with me for the majority of it. Right now though, we had to get through Thanksgiving.

Ryan's parents, Emma, Cale, Erin and my parents were having Thanksgiving at our house.

No, I wasn't cooking. The majority of the food had been ordered and my dad was frying a turkey.

I was hoping that being here, with Ryan's family, that my mom would see that Ryan and I were the real deal and not only come to accept him in my life, but to love him as well.

Ryan and I were on our way to the airport to pick them up.

********

"Hey baby girl!" My dad exclaimed, lifting me off the ground in a big hug.

My mom stood there with her arms crossed. This was going to be fun.

We got their bags, and Ryan loaded them into the back of my Rogue.

We had taken my car since it would be more comfortable than the truck or the Bronco. I even let him drive.

"Do you want to stop for a bite to eat, or just head to the house?" I asked, as I buckled my seatbelt.

"The house. I wouldn't mind resting a bit." My mom replied.

We mainly rode in silence, until my mom asked "Why are you wearing your glasses Mikaela?"

"My eyes were a little irritated and my contacts were irritating them more." I answered.

"I don't know why you don't just have vision corrective surgery."

"I'm looking into it mom." I sighed.

"Did you do something different to your hair?"

She was full of questions all of a sudden.

"Yes, I got some highlights." I answered back.

"I don't know why you don't just go back to your natural color. I always thought the dark hair made you look too pale,"

I rolled my eyes. Did she always have to be so critical?

"We're here" Ryan announced, pulling up to the house.

"Wow! This is nice. Do you own all of this land Ryan?" My dad asked.

"Yes sir. I still have some things I want to do to the back yard. It's just finding the time to get it all done." Ryan replied.

Ryan and my dad got the bags out of the car and we walked into the house.

Libby greeted us at the door and suddenly, my mom's demeanor completely changed. Her eyes lit up. "Come here sweetheart. Grandma missed you." She scooped up Libby and hugged her.

Well, at least my mom was nice to my dog.

Ryan and dad put the bags into one of the two downstairs bedrooms.

"Would either of y'all like something to drink" I offered

"I'll take a beer." My dad replied.

"What do you have!" My mom asked.