Part 2 :" Step Mother "

A Year Later.

Gauri hated weekends because it meant staying in her father's house. While her father most ignored her, Gauri's stepmother paid more attention to her, if only to make her feel sad all the time. Gauri used to get scolded for everything in that house by her stepmother. If she talked a little, her stepmother would say Gauri was loud, and if she remained silent for a long time, she would say Gauri was disrespectful and so on.

When her father first brought her back to his home, she didn't know the move was temporary that she cried herself thinking she will never see her mother again, until two days later he drove her back to her mother's house.

There began the journey where Gauri was moved from one home to another every week though she didn't like going to her father's house because she always went hungry. Her stepmother had once told her that she was fat and she needs to eat less. From that day onwards, Gauri hated to eat anything in front of her stepmother and spent the night sleepless because she remained hungry.

About six months later, her stepmother gave birth to her little brother. Gauri loved the baby, but her stepmother never allowed Gauri to play with him. It would break her heart never to be allowed anywhere near her brother.

One day she sneaked inside her little brother's room to play with him, and when her stepmother found her, she dragged Gauri to her room and locked her inside, refusing to let her come outside the entire day as a punishment.

Gauri wanted to tell her mother. She didn't want to go back to her father's house, but her mother refused to listen to anything she says about her father. So she suffered in silence.

And last week, Gauri was left alone in the home as the three of them went out to dinner. She was so scared to be alone in the big house that she hid under the bed the whole night and fell asleep in the same position.

So today, Gauri wasn't happy to be going back to her father's house, it wasn't the weekend, but her mother had to go out of town. So her mother asked Gauri to stay with her father tonight, Gauri was dropped off at the gate because her mother never went inside the house, but tonight it was so dark that she was a bit scared. She turned to ask her mother for help, but she already drove away.

Gauri picked her bag and walked inside the house. Her usual empty house was filled with people, that she feared that she entered the wrong home as she stared at the strangers in confusion.

" What are you doing here? " her father loud voice made her scared. He never talks with her, but when he does speak, he always shouts at her.

" Stay in your room and don't spoil the day, " her stepmother spoke up in a hushed tone, and Gauri was thankful to escape from the room full of strangers.

When she went to her room, she heard her brother cry. She knew her stepmother would hate it, but she couldn't bear to see her brother cry throughout the night.

When she entered her brother's room, she found him lying on the floor instead of the crib as if he fell out. Gauri tried to pick him up, and when he held on to her. She liked it, so she continued to hold him in her arms.

Gauri didn't know how the time flew because she heard footsteps soon and she was once again worried her stepmother may lock her in the room. So she hid behind the curtains after placing her brother back in his crib and began waiting for them to leave.

It wasn't her stepmother but rather her father who entered her brother's room and when he picked up her little brother and played with him. Gauri's heart broke to know that it wasn't that her father was incapable of speaking affectionately it was that he was incapable of being affectionate with her.

P.S:" That is it for now . Let me know your thoughts and Feedback. Hit the votes if you liked it "

Love

Juanita Reid.