Part 9: " Silence "

Three Months Later .

Gauri carefully carried the gift wrapped box as she got down from the car, she had spent all her piggy box savings in the gift . She hoped he would like it as she made her way into his house ,she was immediately dragged by Kavya to her room who teased her the moment her eyes landed on the gift .

Gauri was by nature silent and prefer to remain alone ,so her friendship with Arnav made her target of being teased by his sister . Not even her best friend Lavanya understood the connection between them , to Gauri he was someone she can trust and talk to without being judged .

While she noticed how often he teased his sister ,he always treated her as a friend . Though she only got to meet him on special occasions like birthday or if she visited Kavya house , she always looked forwarded to meeting him .

" So ,what have you got him ..Tell me now " Kavya asked as she looked at her gift box and Gauri held on to the silence , she knew Kavya will find out soon enough .

" It a book right , of course it is a book ..What with you two " Kavya sighed as she twirled around her room in a dramatic way , to Kavya nothing is more boring than reading a book and for Gauri books is the most fascinating thing , a passion she shared with Arnav .

Arnav interest run along the non fiction genre , as he loved to read autobiography and historical books of every country , . While Gauri interest run along the fiction as she liked to read about the happily ever after kind of books .

She remembered her first birthday party which was held at the age of 7 , before that her parents never cared to throw one for her and her guests included Lavnaya and her family, and she had been pleasantly surprised by Arnav gift back then . She was just her sister friend and he needn't have bothered to get her a gift ,but he did , and she learnt about his interest in books that day and it had become sort of tradition to gift books on their respective birthday's .

She picked a historical book this time because of his interest in historical figures , and she hoped he would like it , and by the time she stepped out of Kavya room ,all the guests have arrived and Gauri rushed to greet Lavanya who arrived with her family , her gaze went to Yuv , Lavanya little brother.

Yuv was Lavnaya brother but to Gauri ,he was more like her own brother . She had never gotten around to see her brother grow up ,and since Gauri spent half of her life in Lavanya house ,she grew to think of Yuv as her own brother .

Yuv at the age of 8 ,only allowed a selected few to still treat him a child and Gauri had been one of them ,as she tousled his hair making him shy away from her with a glare ,she smiled at him as behind the glare held an affection she longed to find in her brother .

Then she turned to see him ,the guest of the hour and her face lost the smile when she saw he was surrounded by strangers and yet he was laughing with them . Lavnaya was quick to notice her sullen expression and explained how Arjun mom insisted he invite his school friends for the party .

They went to different schools , and so Gauri wasn't prepared see him with his friends , she never knew he had friends and still she made herself smile as she went to wish him . Not realizing that single move will make her realize just how delusional she had been with regards to him .

He turned to greet her with his smile , and was still smiling as she wished him until his friends asked about her , she was introduced as his sister friend and she didn't mind that as it had been the truth but what bothered her had been that he didn't voice any objection when his friends dismissed her as one would do a stranger

She understood they didn't know her and it was his avoidance that hurt her the most ,she didn't expect him to leave his friends and talk to her through out the party but she had hoped he would at least speak for a minute with her but he vastly ignored her throughout the day .

She accepted that as well considering him being older by three years would prefer the company of his classmates who are of his age but what she couldn't accept or forgive is when she overheard him not voicing out any protest when one of his friend called her chubby friend of his sister .

She had been on the chubby side , yet she never felt out of place until that moment .Her eyes brimmed with tears not over his friend words but at his silence . She was thankful that her mom came to pick her up by then that she rushed out of the house without even giving him ,his gift .

Gauri loved food ,and she went several day without eating back when she was a child because of her step mother who had taunted her over her weight issues. It took her long time to overcome those words ,and she knew she wasn't fat .

Her weight was within the normal BMI , the doctors had told her during her last regular check up . And yet her short stature meant she looked to be on the chubbier side . She thought she was over those hurtful words and in truth the words didn't hurt as much as his silence .

Gauri tried to gain her father affection and failed miserably ,so she promised herself to be the one to give up first and she knew though it would hurt her now ,it was better to walk away from his friendship because she refused to be the one holding on to him .

She made up her mind but without all the facts ,because she didn't know from the day Arnav had chosen to stop speaking with those friends ,he choose silence that day because he didn't want to create a scene in front of everyone . And if only gauri confronted him , She would have found the truth .

P.S :" That it for now.. Let me know your thoughts and Feedback .Hit the votes if you liked it "

Love

Juanita Reid.