9

Roman was standing outside Virgil's door. That was all he was doing. He couldn't make himself knock or leave. His thoughts wouldn't leave Virgil. He was scared. Remus had made Roman's life miserable with his gift. He couldn't stand the idea of the same thing happening to Virge. That man had enough having to deal with Roman's short fuse and his own curse. He shouldn't have been a target. Roman wanted to knock. He really did but his thoughts kept going to the tea incident... to how he yelled at Virgil for nothing. Why would Virgil want his help? Why would anyone want his help? He couldn't even be a suitable shoulder to cry on. He couldn't lend an ear... he could not listen.

"Help... Roman..." The princes head shot up so fast he almost got lightheaded. There was no way that just happened. He... His name... He heard... no. His mind is playing tricks on him. Years of deafening silence is finally starting to take its toll. Besides... He hasn't been out of the palace in so long. How exactly could he have 'found' his soulmate? He's only been around the other sides. He definitely did NOT hear his name.

"I'm going crazy." He scoffed through the tears that dripped down. See, he thought to himself, I didn't even hear myself talk. There was just no way that actually happened. Even still he was glad for it because it gave him the determination he needed. He opened the door knocking lightly on it as he walked in only to be met with black. It was so dark he could hardly even make out Virgil sitting there on his bed. "Virgil?"

"W-What would he d-do?" Virgil whispered out to himself unaware of the new person in the room. He just stared unblinkingly at the floor, his hands limp in his lap. "I'm not... I mean... I did... NO! STOP IT!"

"Virg..." Roman flipped the light on freezing up in fear at the sight before him. The man that sat on the bed was clearly broken. His eyes shined... literally glowed as he just stared down. He had frozen up again but it was so much worse this time. Roman could see it. Virgil didn't even register the light. He didn't register Roman's presence. He just sat there... and it broke Roman's heart. "Virgil, It's Roman. C-Can you hear me?"

"S-Stop....R-Roman...please..." Virgil tensed up as the air started to leave him. He closed his eyes feeling his heart racing. He couldn't get it to calm down if he tried. Roman's fear only intensified. He could feel Thomas's anxiety slowly seeping into his own mind and Roman knew it was because of Virgil. He was seeing it. He walked over and just sat on the floor in front of the man. He didn't reach out because he didn't want to scare him more. Up close, Roman could see how shallow and wispy Virgil was breathing and he started to have to focus on his own breathing. He didn't want to make it worse by freaking out himself.

"Virgil?" The man in question furrowed his brows in response. He barely heard it at all but he knew someone had called out to him. He was scared... His mind kept telling him it was Remus come to make it worse. "Virgil, it's ok."

"N-No, it's not." Roman watched as Virgil grabbed his crystal tightly. His hands shaking only slightly more noticeable than before. "It's not ok. It's not because he's right. He's right... I'm..."

"Virgil, I didn't get any of that." Roman was more than just worried by now. "I need you to look at me." Virgil shook his head. "Virgil, I can't read your lips if you aren't looking up at me." Roman took a deep breath before reaching up brushing his thumb across Virgil's cheek. It was dry as no tears fell. But there didn't need to be, Roman understood. Virgil could feel the hand shaking as it moved to his chin lightly pushing it up so that he would have been staring straight ahead had his eyes been open. "Virgil..."

"Go away." Anxiety tried to push them away but Roman caught him his attempt. He positioned himself on his knees and held Virgil's hands tightly in the anxious man's lap.

"I won't do that, Virgil. Not right now. Not when I know you hurting." Virgil simply laughed. A laugh that sounded so much more hollow and broken than Virgil ever remembered it. Hollow... Broken... emotionless. That's all he ever shows. That's all anyone sees.