18

"It's 10:43... looks like we missed morning duty." Virgil jumped up so fast sinking out before Roman could even do anything. When Roman found him Virgil was standing frozen in the doorway watching Logan eat with Thomas. Virgil's fists clenched as he sighed hugging his hoodie close, walking in catching their attention. Thomas's eyes went wide seeing Virgil walking in with Roman still just standing there. Logan frowned knowing exactly what must have been going through the anxious one head.

"Good morning Virgil." Virgil rolled his eyes as he sat down at the table ignoring Thomas's confused look.

"I'm sorry." Logan sighed as he shook his head.

"Don't be. I told you to take a break yesterday and you didn't. I was not about to wake you up." Virgil tensed as he started to tap the table.

"Logan..."

"No, Virgil." Thomas jumped as Logan spoke louder than usual. "As much as I appreciate everything you do for all of us. Your health is more important. I am quite capable of taking over your duties whenever needed."

"He's right you know, Virgil." Roman smiled softly at the emo as he sat down beside him. Virgil didn't bother looking over at him as Roman spoke. "You wear yourself to thin. We can help."

"Help with what?" Roman frowned as Thomas blinked clearly confused. "What did Virgil not do?"

"Everything." Virgil whispered as he rested his head on the table. "I didn't even fold the laundry yesterday. I didn't get to Dee's, Remy's, or Remus's room. I didn't get around to checking Thomas's work for mistakes." Thomas's eyes went wide as Virgil shivered. "I didn't make breakfast. I didn't help at all this morning."

"Virgil you don't have to do it every morning." Virgil glared over at Logan startling the logical one at the slight show of emotion. "Virgil..."

"My job is to protect everyone. It's to protect and make sure people are prepared and cared for. I have to make sure that everything is ok from the moment you all wake up. If I can't even do that..."

"Virgil, breathe." Virgil froze as Roman rested his hand on Virgil's. The two's eyes met and Virgil couldn't help but melt into those chocolate brown eyes. "It's ok to want to do things. It's ok to want to help. But taking it all on yourself isn't healthy... I love that you care but... I don't want you to get sick trying to help us."

"I thought Patton did all that..." Thomas's face paled as he realized he had spoken out loud and Virgil laughed, although like usual it was its typical lifeless laugh. Thomas frowned as Virgil shook his head.

"Yes, Pattons the dad character but... Seriously? I'm Anxiety. My purpose is to get you up and moving. I keep you going whilst keeping you safe. Morality is about your emotions and your right and wrong. Without me, you'd have no motivation... no drive... no worry." Roman's eyes widened slightly as Virgil spoke. The anxious one wave a hand over an empty cup summoning water as he looked off to the side. "Yes, Roman is your desire. Your love of things... your dreams... but without me, you'd have no will to do any of it. Patton is your right and wrong but without me, you wouldn't worry about hurting anyone's feelings and so you'd have no filter. You'd be flippant. Plus you just wouldn't give a damn so thinking logically would prove a moot point." Virgil's eyes narrowed as he stared at his reflection. He hadn't really thought about it much but now that he did... he was really important. Anxiety was important. Why was a job like that given to him... to her? Why was the dragon which made the protectors when everyone believed them to be villains? It's not even that he's the dragon witch. No one trusted him in the void either. He nearly got arrested by the prince so many times because someone thought he was a bad guy. Roman... Virgil glanced over at the man beside him and frowned. Roman's never trusted him. He's never thought of him a good person. Even after they all got chosen, he was the villain. Why was Virgil given this responsibility? It didn't make any sense.