eleven

1 1.

•••

Night turned into morning, and I slowly opened my eyes.

Birds were singing above our heads, making it sound peaceful. Craning my neck to the right, Scott was still fast asleep against the tree.

I brought my hand up to massage my shoulder. It was in so much pain. My stomach growled, and I glanced down at it. We haven't had a proper meal in two days.

Sitting there against the oak tree, I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them tightly. Are we going to make it out alive? The voice in my head asked.

Scott groaned, and I looked at him. He still had dry blood on his face, and his hair was all over the place. I didn't mind though. It gave him that bad boy look.

His gaze found my own. "Hey," he greeted, his voice groggy from sleep. "These trees definitely know how to give a goodnight rest."

Sarcasm was dripping from his tongue as he stood up. He rubbed his shoulders, and spun his neck. He stretched his limbs, and got down on the floor to do push-ups.

Seriously? This man was out of his mind.

"Yeah," I agreed after some time. "Do you think we're going to get out of here?"

Scott stopped what he was doing to look at me. Those green eyes softening up. "Of course, my squirrel," he replied, and moved into my aura. He gently placed his hands on both sides of my face. "We'll be okay. As long as we stick together, we're going to make it out alive. I promise you that."

I nodded my head, and closed my eyes. He surprised me when he gave me a quick peck on the lips, and stood up. My eyes snapped open to glare at him.

"Maybe it's —"

"We should get going," he cut me off, staring into the distance. "And my gut is telling me that we should go that way."

I lifted myself off from the ground, and dusted my behind. "Do you always trust your gut?" I asked, rolling my eyes. "Because I don't."

"That's the thing," he said, briefly glancing at me. "You need to learn how to trust me. Come on, let's move."

Not saying anything after that, I followed his every move. My stomach growled again, and I held onto it. Damn, it began to hurt. God truly did take his time to plan my life out.

That's just wonderful.

With no food in my system, my body functioned pretty well. We were walking through trees, stamping on twigs and leaves that brushed over our skin. The ground was moist, and uneasy to walk on.

My legs felt as if they were on fire, and I'd never thought I'd say this; but I missed home.

I missed the comfort of my bed, the annoying sound of my sister's voice, my optimistic best friend, and most importantly; my loving mother. I was beginning to convince myself that we'd never find help, and we were going to die.

All my life I believed I was going to have a decent funeral, but instead they were going to find my body in these woods. Most probably from dying from starvation, and fatigue.