twelve

1 2.

•••

I dreaded this so much as I slowly approached the water.

The water was cold when it touched my ankles, and I instantly took a step back. Scott was already in the water, his hand outstretched for me to take.

"Squirrel, come on," he said when he saw my hesitation. I looked at him, his eyes softened up. "Sometimes you just need to be vulnerable. I got you."

Even the truth in his words made me hesitate. "I really..."

"I'll be gentle," he promised, grinning. "And I promise not to let go."

He stood there in his Spiderman boxers looking sexy as hell. "Can you even keep your promises?" I asked, folding my arms over my chest.

Scott arched an eyebrow at me. "Just get in water," he chuckled. "And yes, I do keep my promises."

As much I wanted to learn how to swim, today wasn't a good day, and he didn't understand that. "We can do this at home," I told him with the roll of my eyes.

"How says we're going to make it home?" he asked, and I narrowed my eyes at him. "So what better way to do it now?"

He was trying to manipulate me, and I wasn't going to allow that. "It doesn't matter either way! I still don't want to do this. I just... I can't."

Scott tilted his head to the side. "And why can't you?" he asked, "mhmm, or is it that you don't want to?"

He just wasn't getting it. "Scott, I appreciate that you want to do this for me," I told him honestly. "But you —"

"Do you want Jess to see what chemistry we have?" he asked, surprising me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What?" I asked, chuckling and scoffed. "Pfft. Ha ha. That's hilarious. What chemistry? There's no chemistry. You're delusional."

The heat rushed up to my cheeks, and I looked away.

"You know we have chemistry," he admitted, and when I tried to deny it, he quickly added, "and don't even try to deny it. We both know it's true. Now, would you please just take my hand, and get in the water?"

Stepping back, I said, "no. We can do this at the local pool then. Or even at your house. But no."

"Zayn," he said my name with finality, voice deep and powerful.

The glistening in his irises were clear, and I saw the mischief in them. Turning around, I made a beeline for the trees off-shore to hide from him.

If my answer is no, it will remain now. I heard water splashing. "Squirrel, come on now!" he yelled, "you can't hide from me!"

I ran toward a huge tree, and hide behind it. Why did it suddenly feel like I was in one of those movies where I'd try to escape from a mentally insane person who was trying to kill me?

My heart was beating fast in my chest, and I sunk down. Scott was athletic, there's was no way I could outrun him. God, he was playing football for a varsity team.