thirteen

1 3.

•••

After teaching me how to glide easily through the water, Scott insisted we go to the top of the cliff.

I wanted to be no part of this. I quickly realized that I didn't have a choice when Scott grabbed both of my hands, and dragged me to the top of the cliff.

He didn't want to listen when I tried to warn him about the bear, and that we almost lost our lives. Scott convinced me that the bear was long gone, and it wouldn't come back.

My hand was in his, and it seemed to be fit very perfectly in his large hand. It was warm, soft and comforting. There was giddiness in my stomach that had something to do with butterflies.

I smiled to myself. This felt really nice.

I'd never seen him smile this much before. He wasn't as bad as I initially thought. We were still dressed in our boxers as the sun set behind the horizon.

"You're going to love it," he said with enthusiasm, and a huge grin on his face. We reached the top of the cliff, and I smiled at the sight.

The sun was setting in the distance, creating this orange glow to scatter across the land. "This is... beautiful," I breathed, and turned to look at him.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Is it weird that I know all of your favorite things?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, and chuckled. "Yes, it definitely is. But I guess it's sweet, in a way. I hate it when you use it to your advantage though."

He tapped the tip of my nose. "I'd do anything just to make you smile," he said, looking down at me. "And guess what?"

"What?"

He rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to tell you," he scoffed.  "That's not how guessing works."

"Just tell me already," I urged, not really liking his game of guessing. "I hate it when people do that."

Scott smiled, and dropped my hand. I didn't want to show my disappointment so I returned his smile. The warmth of his hand now gone, something I'd grown used to.

I zoned out when he was explaining something about astrology, I was too invested in his grin as he explained with dramatic hand gestures, and explosions sounds he made.

His grin was still on his face as his toned stomach caught my attention everytime he laughed. My stomach did that butterfly effect again.

Scott backed up, moving away from me.

"What are you doing?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"Just take a guess," he replied, chuckling. "It's quite simple, really."

I threw my hands up in a dramatic manner. "I don't know what the hell you're doing," I said rolling my eyes at him. I probably rolled my eyes more than a bowling ball. "Scott Ryan Young, I swear, if you're planning on scaring me —"

Frowning, he closed the distance between us in a matter of seconds. "What did you just call me?"

My eyes went wide as I realized I used his full names. I tired to keep my cool as I shrugged. "S-Scott?" I stuttered awkwardly. "That's your name, isn't it?"