THIRTY

»»————««

CAMILLE

The weeks since mine and Charles' first proper heated argument flew by. No other issues cropped up between us and our relationship seemed to be on top form; I always felt like I was on cloud nine whenever he was around. Travelling to races alongside him and Max still made me the happiest girl in the world and each weekend was more exciting than the last. Charles' driving in Azerbaijan and Spain had been truly amazing; he was so talented and it brought tears to my eyes to see him cross the line so high up in the rankings. Moving to Ferrari really had changed his life.

His home race was today, and I was so excited to watch it from his new garage. Last year, I watched it from the Sauber garage before Charles took me out on our first date. So much had changed in the past year and I couldn't wait to see what this race had in store. Charles was starting closer to the back of the grid and I could only hope that he would fight back to get himself on the podium. I had so much faith in him and I knew that he could manage it.

--

"Hey, Cami!" Lando's voice rang through my ears and his hands on my shoulders caused me to jump as I headed from Red Bull's hospitality towards Ferrari's. Charles was finishing his pre-race training with Andrea and I told him I would appear at some point after seeing Max, Victoria and Dilara. I smiled at the young McLaren driver when my eyes met his, his smile wide and his cheeks rosy red. "Are you supposed to be somewhere right now? Or do you have a few minutes to catch up?"

"I was on my way to see Charles, but I didn't give him a certain time. I've been with Max, so as long as I'm in Ferrari with enough time before the race, I have plenty time to talk." I smiled, as Lando latched his fingers onto my wrist. The contact between us made me shiver; I wasn't afraid of Lando's touch like I was Charles' last year, instead, I was just surprised by his movement.

"McLaren hospitality?" His eyes flicked upwards and he smiled, dragging me in the direction of the hospitality building. I knew if fans saw us, they would suspect Lando and I were a thing, and I couldn't be bothered to deal with the immaturity and the drama that came along with silly rumours. I nodded anyway, and followed him through the doors of McLaren's hospitality, smiling shyly at team members when we walked past them.

"How's my driver's room?" Lando turned his head and gave me a brief look as we stopped at the back of the building. I nodded, following him through the door and up the steps, staying closely behind him. This was the third team I was becoming affiliated with and I didn't want McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari to think that I was up to something. "Sit."

Lando's room was simple, but the sofa in the corner was just as comfortable as the others I'd sat on a hundred times. He took a seat beside me, lifting his legs onto the sofa and crossing them, placing his hands in his lap.

"Let me see this promise ring then," Lando smiled. I'd seen him around at races of course, but he'd been so busy and we hadn't been given the opportunity to sit down and have a proper conversation. I lifted my hand and flashed the beautiful band which lay comfortably on my finger. "Wow. It's so beautiful, Cami, you've definitely got a keeper in Charles."

"I know," I giggled, allowing Lando to hold my hand against his palm, my fingers resting effortlessly across his skin. His touch was warm. He made me feel safe, and I loved being in his company. "He's the best. I couldn't ask for anybody better, he's truly amazing."

"I can't wait for you to get married, and then have little baby Leclerc's running around the garages." I noticed Lando's face dropping, a sigh leaving his lips as he tried to smile and brush it off. It was none of my business to question his reaction.