FIFTY NINE

»»————««

CHARLES

I needed a fresh start with Camille. It was exactly what I'd been hoping for at every given moment whilst we were apart. I wanted her back in my arms where she belonged, instead of in Lando's, because I had a bad feeling about anything they did together. Knowing that they'd shared a pretty intimate evening after the Hungarian Grand Prix made my blood boil, because Camille was my girl and Lando never deserved to see her like that. He didn't deserve to go down on her and make her cry out his name. It should've only ever been my name on her tongue in a moment like that. I was mad at myself for ever causing her to walk away from me because I should've known that Lando would entice her. He was a good looking boy and he was so kind, so sweet, something that I didn't have when I allowed my ex girlfriend to kiss me. No wonder Camille wanted him over me.

I wanted to take her out on a date. I wanted to start things as if we'd only just met. Camille had to believe that I still absolutely adored every bone in her body, because I did and I never stopped. I cancelled our trip to Tenerife after we split up and now, our summer break was turning out to be just as boring as I expected after I watched her walk out of that door. One date wouldn't hurt. She seemed keen to try again when we talked about things on Saturday morning, but I'd not heard from her since. Four days felt like a lifetime to me. She seemed to disappear from all social media too, with nothing uploaded to her Instagram since Friday evening before she went out with Dilara. I wasn't worried because I knew that Max would get in touch with me if something happened to her, despite the animosity between us, but I was desperate to hear her voice again.

I grunted whilst leaning forward as I sat comfortably on the sofa in the front room. I placed the now empty bowl of fruit into the middle of the coffee table. My apartment was empty and it didn't feel like home anymore. It needed Camille to brighten it up, to make it feel warm and welcoming just like it always did. I fucked up and that filled me with so much guilt and dread. I hated myself for what I did to her because Camille Jacobs truly was the love of my life - the only woman I ever wanted to be with. I hated Giada for forcing herself into Ferrari and onto me like that. I was looking forward to spending time with my girlfriend after such a shit ending to a good race, but she cruelly took that away from me by being so selfish towards her own feelings. I just wanted to hear her voice.

I eyed up my phone carefully as it lay on the edge of the coffee table. I wanted to call her and ask her how she felt about coming out with me tomorrow evening, if it suited her. I was missing Camille so much after spending a few hours with her because I knew how much I appreciated her company. I thought about what I would say to her if she answered my call. I was nervous and suddenly, it felt like our real first date all over again. Camille turned me down, before changing her mind and making me the happiest boy in the world. God, I would do anything to go back to that date, to do all of this properly and cherish her just like she deserved.

I gave in to my thoughts as they made me feel a little agitated and I swiftly picked my phone up from the coffee table, unlocking it and calling Camille after finding her contact. My fingers were trembling around the device as I held it to my ear, the voice in my head telling me that I was making a stupid mistake by even trying to call her.

"Hello?" She sounded happy, her voice giving me butterflies as I leaned backwards against the sofa, pulling my legs upwards so that they were resting beside me. "Charles? Oh my God, I'm so sorry I haven't called."

"It's okay," I was so glad to hear her voice. "Are you okay though? I thought you'd changed your mind about me."

"No, God no. I'm fine, I was in Croatia with Lando," oh. I knew he was flying out there with his family as I noticed it on his Instagram, but I had no idea that Camille was heading out too. I felt a little deflated knowing that she'd been there with him and he'd had my girl to himself. I trusted Camille when she told me that she had no feelings for Lando. She would never have kissed me if she didn't mean that. "I went to tell him about us. To tell him that we were going to try again."