SIXTY TWO

»»————««

CAMILLE

"A hot chocolate for you," with care, Max placed the mug of burning liquid in front of me and I smiled at him in thanks. I appreciated his desperation to make things better between us and I was glad that he wanted to be mature and apologise for the way he spoke to me and for the horrible names he called me. "Enjoy."

"Thank you." I wrapped my hands around the ceramic mug and allowed the heat to burn through my fingertips whilst Max retook his position in the seat opposite me, as we tucked ourselves away at a table in the furthest corner from the door. He pulled his chair closer to the table and looked at me, slightly dumbfounded. I knew that he didn't know what to say to me because he felt bad. The look in his eyes told me enough about how sorry he was and how guilt had done nothing but consume him since yesterday evening. I knew that as soon as I rushed out of his apartment with tears gushing down my cheeks, he wanted to follow me and drag me back inside, to hold me against his chest whilst he apologised for everything he'd said.

"Dilara called me last night asking why you had to explain what I did before I told her about it. She hasn't spoken to me since," Max sighed, a frown engulfing his delicate features as he took a sip of the hot tea he'd ordered for himself. I didn't feel sorry for him, because he hurt me, but I never wanted to turn Dilara against him. "I could tell how pissed she was and she told me that you don't deserve me. I believe her."

"That's not true, Max. You're my best friend and it's normal for us to bump heads sometimes, but I need you," I sighed, slumping backwards in my chair a little as I began to feel a little nauseous. The thought of losing Max honestly knocked me sick. "What you said hurt me, but I know that you were mad and you didn't mean any of those things."

"That's not the point, Cami. I called you some horrible names. I am so sorry," he shook his head and I looked into his eyes to see the sincerity reflecting against them. I accepted his apology because I knew he wouldn't do it again. "I never meant it."

"Please, stop talking," I reached across the table for his hands and slipped my fingers between his. A frown rested on Max's face, gentle breaths falling from his lips as he used the pads of his fingertips to graze over my knuckles. I hated seeing him like this, especially when I knew that he was sorry and I wanted to forgive him so we could put it behind us and move on. "I accept your apology, Max. I can't stay mad at you for too long, no matter what you do to me. I know you and your tendencies."

"I just didn't want to hurt you. It slipped out and I was stupid, but all I want is for us to get along and for you to be happy with Charles. I want him in our family, Camille," Max's nose scrunched upwards for a second and my stomach filled quickly with a feeling of unease. He relaxed, his grip on my hand growing a little tighter. "I know you were happy during your time with Lando, whatever that was and whatever that meant to you, but Charles makes you smile more than anybody else ever could. Charles gives you this glow and it is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

"Stop," I giggled, whilst shyly using my hands to cover my cheeks because I didn't want Max to see that I was embarrassed. I started to think about the time I spent with Lando and how he made me feel during the few weeks I stayed with him in Surrey. I was happy and I felt content, but I knew that something was missing. I chewed on my lip as I gave myself a few seconds to think and then reopened my mouth, ensuring that I'd lowered my voice to a whisper. "I had fun whilst I was with Lando and I know that I'd never regret it, but obviously, it was never going to be serious."