FORTY EIGHT

»»————««

CAMILLE

Charles stood proudly on the podium, to collect his trophy for finishing in P3 after a glorious afternoon at Silverstone. Max finished in P5, with Lando in P11, and I was so proud of them both, but my heart ached as I watched Charles. He looked happy, but at the same time, it seemed like sadness was plastered across his face. I'd managed to totally avoid him all weekend, by spending my time with Victoria, Dilara and Sophie in Red Bull, but I also saw Lando's family as the weekend progressed.

Right now, it ached. Everything ached. I stood in the middle of the crowds, my eyes focused on Charles, and only Charles, a smile on my lips as I applauded him for a great race. I felt anger gnawing at my insides because I couldn't be the one to kiss him and hug him when he stepped off of the podium. I was so desperate to be around him, because the last two weeks resembled a feeling similar to total torture. Since Monday however, when Lando found me in his local bar, kissing a boy I'd never met, I'd not touched alcohol. Lando threatened to tell Max, and I knew that he wasn't lying. Max would be so mad at me if he thought that I came to England just to act like a fool because I couldn't do that in Monaco. Tonight, however, Lewis was holding a party, and from what I'd heard in the paddock, Charles was invited. Lando told me that I had to be careful because Max wouldn't appreciate having to handle me in my drunken state. I didn't understand how Lando put up with me, but towards the end of the week, I felt a little better without alcohol. Being with my friend was enough for me to feel okay.

Undoubtedly, I still missed Charles. Watching his race today from the Red Bull garage made me feel a little better, but I wanted to be in Ferrari. I wanted to be waiting there for Charles to return, and tears stung my eyes every so often whenever the red car flashed up on the screen. I was so desperate to kiss him, but I couldn't do that. I missed him. Two weeks passing did not change how I felt. Nothing would change anything until I was able to understand why Charles would do this to me.

"Camille," Max's voice startled me as his hand fell onto my shoulder. After walking away from the podium, I felt into a hazy state, my thoughts becoming blocked as only Charles filled my mind. I wanted to go to the Ferrari garage, but I was afraid of seeing something I didn't want to. "Hey. Are you coming with me?"

"What?" I blinked a few times, as Max's grip became a little tighter on my body. I shook my head, noticing the cameras and the people who crowded around us. They weren't focused on us, but I was scared of new pictures circulating.

"Camille!" A distinct Australian accent captured my attention and I turned my head, smiling when I noticed Kym Illman, someone I'd become quite friendly with after seeing him every weekend in the paddock. I looked at Max and nodded, and he rushed inside the front of Red Bull's hospitality. A simple nod on his behalf was enough to let me know that he would wait for me inside. "Are you busy? Do you have a few minutes for me to take some pictures?"

"Of course I do," I giggled, as I followed Kym's hand and stood in place. He lifted his brow as he began to snap some natural photographs of me, before I started smiling at the camera. I'd not been at a photo shoot for work for a few weeks now. Sara knew how I was feeling and she didn't want to add more stress to the scenario. I was thankful for that. "Thank you."

"Amazing pictures," Kym smiled, as he flicked through the images. "I'll send them over as soon as possible. How are things? You and Charles?"

My stomach dropped. The news did spiral out of control when people realised that Charles and I were no longer together. I understood that news spread like wildfire around the paddock, and I didn't doubt that the same thing would happen for Charles and I.