THIRTY THREE

»»————««

CAMILLE

"Camille," Victoria was panting as she rushed into the front room. Wow, I thought I was unfit. She was waving my phone around before my face and my stomach dropped, nausea lifting through my windpipe. I glanced at Max, before my eyes fell back onto Victoria in her panicked state. "Charles tried to call you, a few times. You should probably call him back."

My whole body fell numb, with a million and one questions causing a thick fog to cover my mind. What if something had happened to him? What if Arthur or Lorenzo were trying to contact me with terrible news? I couldn't focus and Victoria dropped my phone into my hands; I was quick to unlock it and find his contact, throwing my phone to my ear and almost knocking myself out with the sheer force I used. Max reached out for my body, offering a firm squeeze to my thigh, a smile on his lips as he nodded slowly.

"Babe, I mean, Camille?" Charles stuttered over his words when he answered the call and I was so relieved to hear his voice. Tears were threatening to spill from my eyes, but a harsh sigh of relief fell out of my mouth as I listened to his breathing through the phone. "Are you alright? I've seen the articles, and the photos. I'm not mad at you. I just need to know if you're okay."

"I don't know." Sobs started to fill the room and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Max shaking his head at Victoria and gesturing for her to leave the room. He tapped my wrist to provide me with some warning, before scooping my trembling body into his arms and allowing me to cry against his chest.

"Can I come over? Collect you and bring you to my place?" Charles' voice was soft, it was the usual, warming voice I heard every time he spoke to me, minus the last time. I missed him, everything about him, and I wanted to go home. I couldn't get my words out, my throat almost closing up as I nodded my head vigorously, bumping into Max's jaw every few seconds. "Camille?"

"Yes please." I sobbed, my chest feeling tight as Max secured me in his arms. He rocked me back and forth slowly, something he did all the time when we were younger if I was ever feeling down or upset, whilst leaving soft kisses against the top of my skull. His touch warmed me, it made me feel content and I knew that being around him would always bring me back down to Earth whenever I needed it. There was something about my best friend's touch which made everything okay.

"I'll be there in half an hour, does that give you enough time to get yourself ready?" This Charles sounded so different and I started to believe that my mind was playing tricks on me. He sounded like such a monster yesterday when he called me an idiot, when he grabbed my by the wrists and tried to prevent me from leaving the room. He'd never do that to me in any other situation.

"Yes." I breathed, slowly trying to calm myself down as I rested my body against Max's. He rubbed my back over and over, the door to the front room slightly creaking open which caused me to hiss in fear. Max only cradled me into his chest even tighter, his strong arms making me feel safe, as I took in his scent and allowed it to send me into a sweet haze.

"I'll be there shortly. I love you." The whole world seemed to stand still when those words came from his mouth. I just wanted to hear him say that. I needed it more than anything.

"I love you too," I felt Max loosen his grip on me as I began to relax. He left a few more kisses against the nape of my neck, before one of his hands was led astray and I could only assume that Dilara had joined us in the room. "Be safe."

"I'll be fine, I promise." The call ended and I muttered a little, wishing that I could've kept him on the line for a while longer, just wanting to savour the sound of his voice once more. I loved that man so much and I just wanted to be with him, by his side.