Chapter 2

Meg POV

David told me a story about the bandit named Snow White robbing a princes carriage. The whole time Mary Margret was glaring at him. David de scorned the prince like he was a god. I asked what the princes name was but mom cut me off.

"That was a great story David." Emma glared at him.

"Thanks!" David smiled.

Mom walked across the room to Mary Margret. She whispered something in her ear. She nodded and Emma walked over to my dad and whispered to him. He glanced at me and nodded. Emma then went to the door and walked out.

"Where is mom going?" I asked curiously.

"Umm..." Dad rubbed the back of his neck. He looked at my grandmother.

"She's going to the....store.." Mary Margret said pausing between each word.

"The pawn store?" I asked.

"Sure!" Dad exclaimed.

"Your lying." I said sharply and looked dad straight in the eye.

"No I'm not." My dad shot his hook in the air.

"Yes you are. Mom knows the pawn shop is my favorite place in town. She would have taken me." I crossed my arms.

"Ummm....." Dad looked at Mary Margret. She shrugged and gave me a concerning look.

"Well I'm going to see what's going on." I snapped. I stood up which made the stool push back against the cabinet.

"Wait Meg!" Dad called after me and reached towards me. I pushed away from him and walked out the door.

------•------

The outside light priced my eyes as I stormed across the street to Mr. Golds pawn shop. When I reached the door and I was about to open it, I heard my mothers voice.

"So do you have what I am looking for?" My mother asked.

"I believe we do." Mr. Golds voice answered. I could imagine him standing behind a counter full of different tringets and gadgets. I loved the pawn shop because all the stuff in there seemed so....important.

"Than what do you want for it?" My mother demanded.

"Well dearie, I need that magic bean back." I pinned myself against the wall outside the shop. What magic bean? Magic? Are we being real here?

"I don't think I can do that." I hear my mother say.

"Than no deal." Mr. Gold sighed.

"Wait!" My mother exclaimed. "I know something else you will want."

"And what will that be dearie?" Mr. Gold asked.

I shifted my body so I could barely see into the building through the blinds on the door. I saw my mother standing in front of Gold with her arms crossed. She uncrossed them and pushed against the counter.

"A strand of my daughters hair." She replied sharply and I gasped.

"And why would I want that?" Mr. Gold mocked. Good, I thought, at least someone has their head on straight.

"Because Gold," my mother challenged, "it's the product of not one, but two generations of 'true love', and we all know how powerful that can be." My mother smirked.

"That is correct dearie. I guess that will do." I saw Mr. Gold reach behind him and grabbed something on a counter. "Here is what you wanted." He handed my mom a bag.

"Great. I will come by tomorrow with my side of the deal." Mother said and turned to walk out the door. I ducked into the alley way between the pawn shop and granny's and pinned myself against the wall. I heard the door ding as mother walked out and she walked right passed me without seeing me.

What the heck just happened? I asked myself as I tried to regroup. What was this I heard about a magic bean? Can something really be magical? Haha heck no. What am I thinking? I must be going crazy. I pushed my hand against my forehead and took a deep breath. I guess there is only one way to find the answers to my questions.

I walked around the corner once again, and pushed the door going into Mr. Golds pawn shop.

"Hey there Mr. Gold!" I called. I felt my dads Irish accent coming out just slightly, but it was muffled by my regular voice.

"Hello there Meg! How are you?" Mr. Gold asked.

"I'm good..." I sighed.

"Great. What can I do for you?" Mr. Gold clasped his hands together and rested them on the counter.

"Umm...I actually have a question for you." I shifted and looked down at the ground.

"And what will that question be dearie?" Gold asked.

"D-do you believe in.......magic?" I asked. I looked up at him nervously and awaited his answer.

Mr. Gold studied me before answering, "I believe in something that isn't human."

Wow he's good.

"So like magic?" I asked.

"Perhaps. Maybe something else." Mr. Gold answered and smirked.

"Ok.....thanks." I smiled and turned to walk out the door.

"Hope you find everything your looking for!" Gold called after me as the door closed.

------•------

I stormed back into the apartment.

"Meg!" Emma gasped and walked towards me. She embraced me in a hug. "Where have you been?!"

"I could ask the same about you." I snapped at her. She leaned back and looked at me in the eyes.

"I was.....at the library." My mother looked physically nervous. Her eyes shot from one side to another, and her grip on my shoulders tightened.

"Really? Cause my grandmother told me you were going to the store. Right grandma?" I smirked at her.

"Umm...no I am pretty sure I said library. Why in the world would I say the store that is just crazy." Mary Margret laughed nervously and looked at Emma as to apologize.

"What is going on?" I whipped around to face my mother.

"Umm....I just had to get something." Emma gripped her bag, which I figured, had the mysterious pawn shop object in it.

"Mind telling me what that was?" I crossed my arms.

"Birthday present?" Emma shrugged.

"Mother, my birthday was 4 months ago. Nice try though. Now tell me the truth." I stared hard at mom trying to push the truth out of her.

"I can't really tell you..." Mom looked at my dad. I felt him walk up behind me. His hand was suddenly on my shoulder.

"Meg." He whispered and I turned around.

"What? If your not gonna tell me the truth than I don't want to hear it." I snapped and looked at his eyes. They were dark with thought and consideration.

"The truth is...." Dad shuffled. "Your mother was getting a new hook for me. She doesn't like the fact that I scratched her car and she got me one with a not so sharp tip." Dad looked at me and hoped deep down that I would believe his lie.

"No." I snapped.

"No what?" David asked suddenly joining the conversation.

"No your lying!" I cried. "Why don't you tell me the truth?" I scream and ran out the door.