Chapter 7: The impenetrable fire defense

It all occurred one of the first days of autumn, two months after Feza's arrival to Konoha. It was a sunny but windy afternoon. The leaves of the trees were gradually turning golden, red, and orange. Feza realized this change while she was having training with her teacher Konohamaru in the woods, outside the village.

So far, Konoha had been an incredible place. She liked the style of the city a lot, the architecture, and the number of trees that surrounded it. Unlikely Sunagakure, Konohagakure felt very balanced. It had a vivid vibe with friendly people. Normally, Kaji Feza didn't talk much. She was more the introvert type, however, she enjoyed a lot by looking around and seeing all the movement in the streets and the peace outside in the forest.

On the other hand, she had kept in contact with the Hidden Village of the Sand by meeting with Shinki every two weeks. The boy came during the weekend and they spent the time training and going out for dinner at the end of the day. He was a very serious kid and also not very talkative. However, Feza found his presence very pleasant. He had had a hard past as well and whenever their conversation took them to the bad memories they could understand each other pretty well.

That day, Konohamaru and Feza were at the top of the trees having their training. He threw four kunai towards her and Feza tried to dodge them. However one of them could cut part of her shirt and the rest got stuck in some of the trees.

"Are you okay?" He asked noticing that he had made a little cut in her arm.

"I am" She replied. "It's just that I feel I'm very bad at dodging and using taijutsu. I have always burnt all the things that are on my way that can be dangerous".

Konohamaru laughed and Feza didn't understand why. In fact, she felt very conflicted about not being as fast as she wanted.

"Well, you cannot burn everything, Feza-san. That could be dangerous even for you. You need to learn how to avoid attacks too".

"I know..." She sighed feeling a bit embarrassed and then she went down to pick up the kunai from the trees.

One... two... three...

Feza was just missing one kunai. She jumped from one branch to another and finally located the last one. She gave another jump but at that moment an acute and burning pain paralyzed the muscles of her neck. Desperately she tried to hold from a branch but the girl ended up falling down to the ground.

"Feza-san?!" She heard from far away from the voice of Konohamaru.

The colors around her faded, the pain in the neck traveled through all her body but, before she fainted, her eyes saw the black shadow once more.

I cannot be laying here... I have to escape... I have to ...

Konohamaru heard a cry that was more like a roar. It could have belonged to a monster for the way all the scared birds flew away abruptly from the top of the trees. And then, from the deeps of the forest, a giant bird made out of blue flames raised, burning a lot of pines.

"Oh, shit..." Konohamaru mumbled and quickly tried to move back. The high temperature that the bird transpired was incredibly suffocating.

When he reached a safe distance he tried to throw a Rasengan to the beast but it was completely useless. The heat of the animal was so intense it could disintegrate whatever it would be thrown to it. Fiercely, the beast moved its wings as if it were trying to eliminate something in the ground with its flames as if it were looking for an ant in the grass. Konohamaru ran away. He could not stop a monster like that by himself.

"Naruto!" he shouted when he finally saw the Hokage, Shikamaru, and Sasuke running towards the fight scene.

"Konohamamru, are you alright?" Naruto asked quickly.

"Yes. But I couldn't do anything to stop her".

"Why did Feza-san turned into the Firebird?" Shikamaru asked quickly.

"I don't know. We were training and I just lost her from my sight one minute".

"Someone might have provoked this" Sasuke said.

"I agree with Sasuke" Shikamaru replied.

"I will try to stop her with the chakra of Kurama" Naruto declared.

"It will be impossible. The temperature that emanated from her body is too high".

"Sasuke, do you think you can use your rinnegan to control her? Shikamaru suggested. "Is the easiest way if we don't want to hurt her".

Sasuke nodded and quickly uncovered his eye. The huge wings stopped flapping some seconds later and little by little the flames turned just into ashes. When the men approached the center of the place where all the disaster started they just found the woman unconscious laying on the floor.