Chapter 10: Subtle changes

Kankuro started to notice something was happening with his brother as the weeks went by. It was subtle, just as Gaara himself but, undeniable after five months. The changes had begun little by little with details that, at first, didn't seem too much out of the ordinary. One Monday, after an evening meeting with the council, the Kazekage went to his backyard instead of returning to his office. Kankuro approached his little brother quite surprised.

"Hey, Gaara, where are you going?" he asked with curiosity.

"I will join Shinki today before dinner" he replied "I will try to train with him more often. The incident of the ambush made me think that perhaps I have been in my comfort zone for a while".

"But you are the Kazekage. No one is stronger than you in these lands!"

"That's something we don't know for sure". Gaara replied and smiled a bit. "You can join us if you want".

From that day on the evenings were used exclusively to train again. Both father and son seemed to enjoy it greatly which was reflected in their conversation at dinner. Somehow they became more open and confident towards each other as if the invisible barrier that had existed because of the lack of blood connection suddenly vanished with the sound of their excited voices and laughs.

On another occasion, Gaara called Kankuro to his office and asked him to sit down. He noticed that there were a lot of old scrolls and papers all over his desk.

"What happened here? Looking for something?" Kankuro guessed.

"I was, indeed". The kazekage replied. "I was looking for information about Haru Kaito".

"Hmmm... Didn't we catch him in a mission when we were kids?"

"Yes, we did".

"What with him?"

"He is the father of Feza-san."

"What?!"

"But he has a very intricate story though". Gaara explained. "He used to be a prolific scientist who worked very close to the Third Kazekage. On the other hand, he married the matriarch of the Kaji clan, Feza's mother. This because, being such an important and recognized personality of Sunagakure, the government of the Fourth Kazekage wanted him to ally with this strong clan definitely. However, as the governing period of our father went by he strongly stood against him. He even tried to kill him. Also, the Kaji clan being on the side of the Kage were his enemies now. So Haru Kaito killed the matriarch by poisoning her and the other members of the clan in a family dinner. I have been looking for a reason for him turning his back against our father, but it seems like Rasa decided to hide information secretly about his enemies".

"Why don't you ask one of those old members of the council?"

"Because I don't trust anyone after the ambush. Only Shinki and you".

After this conversation, Kankuro started to notice that Gaara was much appellative and inquisitive with the council. It became clear for him that his brother wanted to untangle the identity of the person behind the ambush once and for all, almost as if he were in a hurry.

And, at the same time, something in his look had turned less cold. It was in the moments of distraction, mainly when Gaara was lost in his own thoughts, that Kankuro could perceive a tender radiance in the light green eyes of his little brother.

What's happening here?

Thousands of theories passed through Kankuro's head but none of them seemed convincing. It was until five months later, that his suspicions were too much of a heavy burden when he finally decided to tell Temari about them, one weekend when he joined Shinki to Konoha. They were drinking tea that afternoon. Shikadai had left to join his friends for training, so they were alone in the living room.

"This is a big surprise, Kankuro" Temari said after hearing the story "I never thought this time would arrive. To be honest, I had lost all hope with our little brother".

"What do you mean by that?" Kankuro frowned with suspicion.

"Isn't it obvious yet?" Temari sighed and then she smirked. "Gaara is in love with someone!"

"No way!" he exclaimed "I would have certainly noticed! That's not a possibility! He is always working or training with Shinki".

"He is training because..."

"Because he wants to protect the village, of course!"

"Sure. But, he has always protected it, no?" She giggled. "I'm sure he wants to give a good impression to someone. Didn't you just tell me you think he even looks better these days?"

"Well, he certainly looks fitter..."

"Hasn't he changed his clothes? Maybe his hairstyle?"

"I don't think so. No."

"I'm sure that's the next step. Wait for it. Men are predictable, even Gaara. Trust me". Temari drank a sip of tea thoughtful while Kankuro still couldn't believe it. "I just wonder who is the lucky girl who finally caught our little brother's heart. Agh, it took so long. Are you sure he is not dating anyone?"

"Totally!"

"Hmmm... Then, it is your job from now on to find out!"

Kankuro went back to Sunagakure the next day still meditating about what Temari had told him. During the travel on the train, he wondered if Shinki knew something, but he didn't dare to ask him. It was still a vague suspicion and he didn't want to alarm the boy with such hot gossip.

It can't be that! For god's sake... Indeed, after what happened ten years ago with the fiasco of the arranged marriage with Hakuto, the Sand sibling had lost all hope on Gaara.

But, when the train arrived at the station and the doors opened all the doubts in his head vanished in one second. The Kazekage was waiting for them. He smiled kindly when he saw them going down the train. Shinki walked quickly towards him to say hello while Kankuro took a little while in order to appreciate from a distance the new hairstyle of Gaara. The red hair had a messy and younger appearance once again.

In Kankuro's mind two concrete and decisive ideas popped out making him feel overwhelmed:

1.-Temari is right

2.-I have to find out who the woman in question is.