Chapter 25: The battle of the Wind Shadows

Note: I used the title: wind shadow because that's the meaning of the word kazekage (I thought it would sound nicer). Second, the kanji of 加流羅 means Karura (name of the mom of Gaara). Third, I used some basic knowledge in chemistry to write this chapter so, maybe some concepts are not perfectly correct. I hope you like it anyway! :D

The sewer that Gaara had used to introduce to the chamber where the scroll was, was around five hundred meters away from the palace. Luckily it was not functional anymore, but instead, it was covered by spiderwebs and scorpion nests. It was not like he was afraid of any of these poor creatures, but he found quite repulsive the crunchy sound they made once he had to step on them.

Keep moving

He had to be fast and precise in order to succeed. His third eye jutsu guided his steps through the darkness until he finally found the narrow entrance to the palace's cellar. First, the eye inspected the place, and, once he detected no movements, he introduced his slim body through the opening. He noticed he was in a large corridor that had only two possible directions. Chiyo-baasama had explained to him this with caution since the palace chambers were a maze.

First, right.

Light was scant as his steps advanced silently through the corridor. He used a thin sand cushion under his feet with every step he gave to mute any sound.

Left. Then right... Then left again.

The boy kept moving forward. But as he continued, he wondered why no guard had stood yet on his way. Not even the sand he had left all the way behind his steps could feel any chakra nearby. Could old Chiyo had betrayed them? There was no time to go back and re-plan everything. They had to go back home that night. They had to save Shinki and the village.

It's here.

Gaara confirmed it was the right chamber by looking at its number. It was the same one that Chiyo had told him. Then, he inspected the door looking for the lock. After pressing softly some of the several protruding spots of the door one of them made a click. The perimeter of the door emanated suddenly a yellow glow and a blank space was presented in Infront of the boy's face.

"You will have to write the password" Gaara remembered the explanation of the Granny.

"Do you know it?" He asked her.

"Of course... not! You will have to find out yourself. Just remember, most likely, your father chose it".

Perhaps the reason why the guards were not needed was that the seal in the door worked like an alarm. If he would not guess the password correctly, a signal would summon a group of shinobi. In that way, no extra effort would have to be put in sheltering the secrets of the chambers.

Perhaps if Gaara knew his father, the guessing would have been easier. But he didn't, and for a long time, he just stared at the blank space.

What would I use for a password? He wondered with no other clue to start with.

Perhaps something special for him, something he would never forget. A name? The name of a friend? Or maybe the name of the dearest person to him...

My mother...

He was about to write the kanji of his mother's name but an abrupt thought stopped him.

Or perhaps Feza's mother...

After all, she would have given Rasa the most precious treasure from her clan in the name of her love for him. Had the Fourth Kazekage corresponded her feelings? Could he have loved Miyako more than his mother? Gaara took a deep breath and wrote down what he would have just preferred the most. If the guards were to arrive, he would be prepared.