Epilogue

Epilogue

The soft and silver light of the full moon filtered through the window the night that they met again. She woke up silently from where they were laying and after contemplating for some minutes the calm nature outside, she decided to accompany the cicadas' melody with her koto.

He woke up when listening to her first notes and carefully, to not make any noise by stepping over the wooden floor he sat in front of her to enjoy the music.

The koto was a part of her in the same way as her legendary naginata. The Dragon God had given it to her to train her soul the same way she trained her body. And she had used as a manner to never forget where she came from.

Her fingers moved with artfulness as the melody evoked in them vivid nostalgia. A remembrance of old memories, or perhaps of their most secret wishes. Things that had not occurred yet but that could be one day. It depicted all the places they could visit, their nights together, their dreams.

Love

The man who endured had always found love a fascinating yet distant mystery. Something as extraordinary as that song. Inexplicable, just as the sudden rain in the desert would help bloom the flower of a cactus that has been waiting for hundreds of years. Yet, even without fully understanding it, this man's deepest desire had been, since he could remember, to fill his heart with love, so much that he could not take anymore. So much that it would warmly embrace him, inebriate him.

They remained in a calm quietness after she finished playing.

"Perhaps it's time to deliberate", she said suddenly. "Soon I must leave again".

"I've taken a decision".

The woman waited for his response with a gloom of hope in her eyes.

"I resigned from the Kazekage position." said he with determination "Once the restoration of Sunagakure is done so will my duties towards the council".

"And who will take your place after that? Shinki is still so young and perhaps he doesn't desire such a position anymore".

"I've had the charge for almost twenty years. It's time to find a new person for it, maybe even a new Kazekage that doesn't have the blood heritage of our clan. Sunagakure needs new people, new ideas... I guess all the shinobi world does".

The woman nodded with a smile on her face. The man's words made her deeply happy.

"I shall wait until then..."

"Perhaps some full moons we will not be able to meet, even if Naruto is providing us with a safe place in The Hidden Leaf. There is so much to do in Sunagakure..."

She nodded again and peacefully trusted the wait. After all, fighting for what they wanted had become their lifestyle and he was her biggest source of inspiration.

"Shall we keep talking under the blankets? My feet are getting cold and I would like to hold you in my arms for a little longer".

The man nodded and with his heart filled with unmeasurable joy, he offered her his hand to stand up.

They spend the rest of the cicada night together and not worrying about anything, fussed in a warm embrace. That night Gaara had finally understood the bonds between a man and a woman.