Chapter 24: The spirit of the wind

A sweet scent in the early morning air made Feza wake up. The light inside the room was sepia, meaning that the sun would rise soon. However, Gaara was not next to her anymore. She laid on her back and took a minute to simply stare at the ceiling as she noticed that the scent was coming from the kitchen. Most likely he was preparing their breakfast. Deep inside her mind, she wished they could be grown-ups again and that this morning was the morning after their wedding.

How romantic it would be that he prepared breakfast after the wedding night...

Would they have passed the intimacy barrier by then? Would they have shared more than friendly caresses? Her face blushed just by thinking about that and she felt a fiery amount of chakra rise in her belly. But still...

Haru Kaito

The sweet sensation on her belly turned into a bitter flavor in her mouth. The memory of his skin melting under her flames evoked in her pain and melancholy.

Why?

She would kill him a thousand times if it were necessary and yet, a thousand times she would feel a spear stabbing her heart. Because, in the end, she would always despairingly desire that things were different. That her mother would have chosen her and her husband instead of a love whim, and that her father would have chosen her instead of cold revenge.

The door opened at that moment and Gaara stepped inside suddenly, breaking her reverie. She opened her eyes again feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Good morning, Feza. Did you sleep well?" He said kindly.

"More than well, I'd say". She replied giving him a happy smile after quickly cleaning the tears in her eyes.

"I'm glad to hear that. Well, I just prepared breakfast. So, get ready and then we go".

Feza nodded and left the futon promptly.

Gaara had awakened when it was still dark in order to get some supplies for their breakfast from the palace storages. Then, he had prepared oatmeal with milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract with some almonds while she kept sleeping. Later, when she got ready, both sat on the table and ate in silence. Once they finished, Gaara took his calabash and approached the girl before opening the door to leave.

"So, are you sure this person we are going to visit can be of help?" She asked quite intrigued.

Gaara nodded.

"Her name is Grandmother Chiyo. She is a prodigious ninja medic and one of the wisest persons in Sunagakure. She is a sealing expert as well since it was her who sealed Shukaku inside me in the past, and because she used to be a counselor, I'm convinced she can give us some information that might help us get back home".

"I see".

"She lives in a place outside the village, not too far away, close to the river. It won't take us more than a couple of hours but we cannot be seen together". He explained.

"Why is that?"

"Well, at this age I would normally spend time all by myself. Not even with my siblings. So, it would be suspicious if suddenly I'd be walking with a girl in the city". Gaara said looking away from time to time.

"I don't think it would be so strange... After all, boys start to have some interest in girls at this age, don't you think?" She said crossing her arms with confidence.

"?" Gaara's face blushed. "Well..."

"I was just kidding. I will follow you from a distance". She said, getting serious again.