Chapter 13: Gaara's confession

The celebration took place in a very big garden in the Hyuga residence. It started at noon and for Gaara's surprise, there were a lot of guests. He tried to find Kaji Feza discretely during the ceremony, but the number of people made it impossible.

It was until the ceremony finished, and after saying hello to a lot of other people around, that he noticed that Shinki was some meters away talking with her. Gaara didn't approach instantly. Instead, he took some seconds to contemplate Feza from far away. She was wearing a blue straight dress and her long black hair had been combed with a delicate silver barrette. But above everything she seemed very happy, which made Gaara hesitate. He gave one step further but Temari's hand took him by the arm gently, driving him to their table before he could decide whether to go or not.

Naruto, Hinata, Shikamaru, Temari, and Kankuro were already waiting for him to start with the conversation in the table. Gaara sat next to the Hokage and tried to enjoy the time with his friends and siblings during the feast. From time to time, he turned around subtly to see where Shinki and Feza where. They had taken place some tables away a bit far away from the dance floor.

"...right, Gaara?" Kankuro asked his brother happily.

At that moment his little brother turned around quickly.

"Sorry, Kankuro. I didn't hear you".

"Gaara, stop watching over your son! We are at a party!" Temari said. "Not in the chunin exams".

"I guess is the habit" Gaara replied a bit embarrassed.

"Ah, you are such a good father!" Naruto exclaimed enthusiastically. "I can see that Shinki admires you a lot and he is a great shinobi just like you!"

"Thank you, Naruto" Gaara smile comforted.

The conversation kept going regarding politics, Konohagakure, Sunagakure, parenting average problems, their sons, etc until the sun came down. Close to the twilight, Gaara asked Naruto if they could speak in a private place. The Hokage nodded and quickly they moved to the hall inside the Hyuga residence.

"What's the matter, Gaara?" Naruto asked directly "You have been very quiet and thoughtful the whole party".

"Really?"

"Yeah. I noticed immediately".

Gaara sighed. I probably look idiotic...

"Are you worried about something?" Naruto insisted once he noticed his friend had blushed.

"I don't know what to do, Naruto". Gaara finally replied. "I have never felt like this before".

"How?"

"Like..." At first, he did not know how to describe it. He imagined many examples: like a warm sunbath in the early morning, like the amusement of seeing a dear cactus bloom after 10 years of waiting, like feeling the fresh breeze of the ocean after a deadly battle... However, he did not want to sound absurd and he just limited to say: " Like the way you feel towards Hinata".

"Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Gaara!" Naruto exclaimed blushing too and holding his friend with one arm "What a surprise! This is amazing! I'm so happy for you! Is Feza-san, right? That's why you can't take your eyes off that table? I knew there was something between you two since you came to the village last time!"

"It's not that easy..." The Kazekage explained with sorrow "That's why I'm asking you for help. I don't know what to do! We have just been sending letters to each other for five months".

"Eh? Hmmm... And how is your relationship so far?"

"Very formal I think. She doesn't even call me by my name".