Chapter 27: Runaway

The oldest member of the council of Sunagakure made a deep bow after lending a mirror to the man that was in front of him. After long days of agony and uncertainty, the process of materializing and giving a human body to his new Kazekage had been completed.

Haru Kaito was holding the mirror in silence, staring at his new skin. It felt unrealistically soft and young. His soul had inhabited rough sand for so many years that the touch of real skin almost made his eyes weep. His appearance resembled a lot his dead half-brother, Rasa, but still, it was enough different to distance himself from the memory of that dirty being.

"I hope the body of Kankuro-sama is of your please, Lord Kazekage". Old Ebizou said still with his head down. "It was the closest to your original blood we could get. We still have your son if you would prefe..."

"Silence!" Haru Kaito commanded. "I've used the body of my dear son enough. I am his father, not his puppeteer. I want him to rest and recover. After all, he is the blood of my blood and my only heir. Once he feels well, I will give him the place he deserves. Not as an adopted son but as the genuine successor of the Kazekage. Is that clear?"

"Yes, milord".

"Also, I want you to send your best shinobi to kill the remaining daughter of Rasa and her child. I don't want any future conflict regarding the authenticity of the possible next successor. Shinki has already suffered enough".

Ebizou nodded again.

"By the way, what have you heard in the village about me?"

"People seem comfortable with their new leader".

"I despise the idea of having to pretend I am the oldest son of Rasa. But is a sacrifice I am willing to make. I am fine for now if only the council knows who I really am. After all, patience is my biggest quality. I waited all my life to get the place I deserved since the beginning but because of senseless tradition I could not get".

"All the council feels blessed to finally have a strong man like you as our Kazekage".

"Don't you think Gaara was a good leader?" Haru Kaito asked, testing the honesty of the old council member.

"He was a reasonable man", Ebizou replied calmly. "Responsible and peaceful. But the council always found his lack of ambition a drag. It is true that he brought prosperity to the village after the Fourth Ninja War, but he never sought expansion or more power than he had".

"Perhaps he feared to make the same mistakes as his father". Haru left the mirror over a table and took the traditional white robe of the Kage to wear it for the first time. "That's why, from now on, I want to be an example for my son. It will be hard for him in the beginning, but one day he will understand that all I did was for his own sake. Unlike the girl, he will understand because I will give him his rightful place".

After wearing the robe, the man took his wide hat. However, before they went out of the medical chamber where they had taken the body of Kankuro, a young shinobi guard opened the door with urgency.

"Kazekage-sama" he announced with desperation, "Your son has disappeared from his room!"

"What?!"

"We were guarding the palace as you indicated but when a servant went to check if he had already awakened, he was not in his bed anymore. We are searching for him but..."

The announcement of the guard was interrupted by a slash of sharp iron sand that cut his throat and the furious and desperate cry of Haru Kaito.

The final arc is coming. Thanks for reading.