17: Snacks and Soju for a Heartbroken Friend

The first week without him was the hardest. Evidently, she was the one that broke off their relationship and he just followed her wishes. But when she found herself alone in the living room reading his song lyrics to "That's Okay" she can't help but to imagine him singing it for her. And when she was on her class break, she imagines him making his way to meet her and give her a snack in the school cafeteria. When she came home, all she thought about was if he was going to ever text her. But of course, he didn't. She couldn't blame him though because she was the one that broke it off and yet there are times where she couldn't help but to think of him.

The second week, too, was difficult. She had to endure seeing dating news articles of them that began releasing malicious and fake accounts of 'neighbors' claiming that they've seen Jihyun outside Kyungsoo's apartment during a makeout session--which of course wasn't true since Kyungsoo doesn't own an apartment because he still lives with his parents. SM and SOOP then followed up the dating news with similar statements: "We didn't know this was happening". That part was semi-true. Kyungsoo decided only to tell three people inside EXO's management and strictly asked them not to tell the higher SM people.

As for SOOP, Jihyun didn't tell anyone--atleast not yet. Eventually, she was going to but the paparazzi beat her to it. So the day after their argument, SOOP contacted Jihyun and Jihyun told them they'd broken up so there was no need to worry. As for their fans, other supported them but the majority didn't. The hashtag #CANCELDOKYUNGSOO trended for atleast five days and as well as #CANCELNAMJIHYUN and #HYUNSOORISE/#WONSHIMRISE---all of this she thought was ridiculous. She tried avoiding going on social media and reading the comments but it was too late as it became the front cover of almost every news article in South Korea.

A week later,  SM and SOOP both made a statement that both had broken off their relationship--and another wave of mixed reactions from both the media and netizens exploded most of them talked about how toxic fan culture was

A week later, SM and SOOP both made a statement that both had broken off their relationship--and another wave of mixed reactions from both the media and netizens exploded most of them talked about how toxic fan culture was.

Obviously for her, the past two weeks had become such a distraction to her learning environment and all she wishes was Kyungsoo was right there by her side. Other times, she wanted to pick up her phone and text him "Are you okay?" but she stops herself immediately after. It still hurt her that he was so quick to leave her when she told him "No. This will destroy us" . But she too blamed herself for telling him what they had was just a fantasy. A part of her regrets saying that but excusing her words with "I was tipsy during that time" would be a lie because a part of her also felt that being in a relationship with an extremely popular idol was just a fantasy and most importantly: that it'll destroy his career, their career, and the people around them. The way she articulated her feelings through such harsh words--she realized---would be heartbreaking for any man to hear. But the damage was already done and she thought it was time to move on now.

If she fell for him even more, she wouldn't know what to do with those feelings and from the moment she read the song lyrics in the paper, Jihyun realized she probably made one of the biggest mistakes of her life of letting him go. Even when he wasn't there, everytime she read the lyrics she felt like he was being comforted by him--and that in turn, made her want to hear his voice more and miss him more.