Eggs

art: @MoshyyyL on twitter

prompt: soulmate au where whatever you write on yourself appears on your soulmate

/no warnings/

bold = writing
———-

"Eggs." Darryl repeated out loud to himself. "Really?"

He looked down at the inky writing on his arm. His soulmate had never made an effort to contact him before, and when they do, the first thing they write is eggs.

Of course, Darryl hadn't tried to contact his soulmate before either, but that was besides the point.

The point right now was eggs.

Angry, Darryl rushed to grab a pen to respond.

"Eggs?!" He wrote aggressively. He waited anxiously for a response, but after a few minutes, none came. He was worried he had already scared his soulmate off.

With a sigh, Darryl glanced at his clock. "It's late already, I should forget this and just go to bed." He mumbled to himself, and started getting ready for bed. Every few minutes, he would sneak a glance at his arm, getting angrier and angrier at the lack of a response.

Finally, Darryl turned off the lights and climbed into bed. Aggressively wrapping himself in the sheets.

"Stupid soulmate. Dumb eggs. What a muffin," he thought bitterly, "I don't need them. If they respond I'm not even going to read it!" Darryl said stubbornly. Frowning, he got comfortable in the blankets. He shut his eyes tightly and waiting for sleep to take him.

Suddenly, he felt an itching sensation on his arm and knew his soulmate had finally responded.

He instantly jumped out of bed and flicked the lamp on, looking at his arm desperately.

"So much for not reading it!" His mind yelled at him.

"I need to buy eggs." Darryl read out loud.

...

"WHAT?" He raged, reaching for the pen he just happened to place on his nightstand for no reason whatsoever.

He didn't even know what to reply with. He realized his soulmate didn't exactly mean to contact him, and his frustration changed to sorrow.

"So my soulmate wasn't even trying to contact me? They were just making a reminder note?" Darryl thought gloomily.

"Why have you never tried to contact me before?" Darryl wrote, patiently. The reply came quicker than expected.

"you never wrote me either"

"That is true..." Darryl thought. "Now what?"

Before he got a chance to reply, he felt his arm itching again.

"but it's okay soulmate~ we can make up for it by talking more" The stranger wrote.

Darryl liked that idea. To just forget everything and have a fresh start.

"Okay. Thank you." Darryl wrote back. He thought for a moment. "My name is Darryl. What's yours?"

It seemed to take longer than necessary for the other person to reply.

"darryl?" They finally wrote.

Confused, Darryl replied, "Yes.. What is your name?"

Another few minutes passed, and Darryl's frustration started to come back. He ran his hands through his hair and decided to check his phone while he waited. He noticed he had a couple notifications from Skeppy.