Dreaming

Word count: 1406
art by: @jehms_fishstick on twitter

I was listening to Lose It - Oh Wonder with a very confused state of mind and this is what came out of it :D I put the audio up there ^ in case your curious (it might help understand the story better)

prompt: You are in your soulmate's dreams, but it's hard to remember what they look like and sound like after you wake up. The more you write down and try to remember, the better your chances of really seeing/finding them are.
This is hopefully as confusing as a real dream would be >:D

Darryl was walking somewhere, downtown maybe? It looked sort of dark outside, a cool breeze in the air and a beautiful sunset playing in the background. The stores around him were closed. Unlit neon signs decorated the windows and signs outside.

Darryl's eyes delicately traced the building's surfaces, reading words that seemed to change every time he looked at them.

He looked at his hands. "I must be dreaming," he whispered, shoving them into his pockets to continue walking.

A few seconds into his walk, Darryl's brain forgot he was dreaming again. A lucid dream, only seconds long, it seemed. He turned a corner, finding no end to the streets and buildings. The colors around him seemed muted; it would be a little off-putting to any sane and awake person. Despite having no idea where he was, Darryl felt a calm and familiar presence around him.

Then there was a figure, a person maybe, a few feet in front of him. It was like they had appeared from thin air.

"Hello?" Darryl asked, taking a step towards them. The other person took a hesitant step backward in a scared and confused manner.

A million questions ran through Darryl's mind.

"Hey, it's okay," Darryl soothed, suddenly close enough to the person to see it was another male close to his age. He didn't remember taking that many steps.

As Darryl scanned the man over, he found he had tanned skin and dark fluffy hair and was clothed in casual wear. For some reason, the boy was very slightly transparent, a strange blue glow surrounding him. The aura was calming. Darryl wanted to question it but found he didn't know how to ask. Then he seemed to forget it was a strange thing to witness in the first place.

His heartbeat fast and he felt nervous, blood rushing to his cheeks. "Are you alive?"

The other boy didn't respond. Instead, he reached over and linked his fingers with Darryl's, holding their hands together palm to palm in front of him.

Darryl looked into the other boy's eyes, trying to understand what was going on. What was the boy thinking? Who was he? Why was he here?

"Zak?" Darryl asked. Even more confusion filled him as the ghost-like person in front of him nodded.

Darryl tilted his head to the side. "How did I know—"

Before he could finish, Zak's smaller body fell through him like he was just air. As he passed through, Darryl's heartbeat quickened further and he felt like he had known the stranger in front of him his whole life. His body warmed up, making him feel more alive than ever. As if his heart had turned into a drum, it made a single beat louder than any other—loud enough for Zak to hear.

Darryl turned around to look Zak in the eyes and smiled nervously.

The loud beat repeated again like his heart was playing music, and it became quite catchy to Darryl's ears. Happiness overcame him, and he found himself wanting to wiggle and clap. "Will you dance with me, Zak?"