Ice Cream Date (4)

Word count: 1226

This is one of the new chapters where my writing motivation really started dropping. Sorry!!!

Surprisingly, a lot of people didn't seem to care that Zak and Darryl were holding hands.
The server behind the counter smiled just as sweetly as she did at any other person, no trace of discomfort. It made Darryl's anxiety drop, and Zak didn't seem to care too much in the first place.

Actually, he didn't mind that he and Darryl would be holding hands for another twenty minutes in the slightest.

Zak scooted into a random booth, pulling Darryl down to sit next to him. With happy smiles, the two boys stared at their respective ice creams in front of them.

Zak had two small scoops of something that looked similar to rocky road with a chocolate syrup drizzled over it, while Darryl had a plain scoop of strawberry with some sprinkles.

"You didn't want any cool flavor? Strawberry is kinda basic..." Zak wondered out-loud, eying Darryl's choice carefully.

"Well, I'm gluten-free, and usually only the basic flavors don't contain gluten, so..."

Zak hummed in thought, "Ice cream has gluten in it?"

A sigh left Darryl's mouth, making Zak giggle. "Yes, Zak... Ice cream has gluten in it."

The bickered on and off long after the ice cream had been devoured. The handhold had lasted way longer than necessary. They only noticed when Ashley herself burst into the parlor, gawking at them in disbelief.

Zak instantly went red, letting go of Darryl's hand as the devil girl made her way to their table with a bright smile. She sat down across from them, setting her elbows on the table and putting her head in her hands. "I see you are enjoying yourselves!"

"W-we just forgot, that's all," Darryl choked up, rubbing the hand that had been in Zak's just seconds before. Surprisingly, it wasn't clammy like he predicted. It was just warm.

"Yeah, anyway. Glad it's over. I really had to pee," Zak motioned for Darryl to scoot out of the booth.

"Oh my goodness," Darryl grumbled, scooting over your let Zak free. He sat back down after the small boy disappeared towards the bathrooms.

"Hmmmm..." Ashley hummed for a second before a panicked look overcame her. She whipped around in her chair just as the French student Zak and Darryl met that morning stepped into the parlor. He had an annoyed look on his face that made Ashley giggle nervously.

"You were too fast," he huffed, sitting down next to her.

"I wanted a smoothie! And then I saw Zak and Darryl and got excited!" She smiled brightly. "Hey, go get us some smoothies," she requested, handing some money to Vincent after a few seconds of fiddling with her small purse.

Vincent sighed. "But I just sat down..."

Darryl wondered why Ashley's commands didn't seem to work on the French man.

"Must be a French thing," he thought, tilting his head to the side.

"Pleaseeee!" The girl whined, brown hair bobbing as she smacked her hands together in a pleading motion.

The French boy rolled his eyes but finally got up. "Only because you are paying."

Ashley put a satisfactory smile on, Turing her attention back to Darryl. "Did you guys hear about the party this Friday?"