Comforting Hugs (3)

part three to (Let's Stick Together) of the covid-19 apocalypse au
art by: Nerd#3187 on discord
word count: 1393
freddie-fr EDIT WE ARE BLESSED
also I actually had the time to read through their book Starstruck and... it's very good I definitely recommend it.
ty gray ily :0

this is the final part!

•Zak•

Darryl was doing a deep cleaning of the house right now. He had first rinsed himself off, then proceeded to bleach clean the bathroom. It made me wonder where he went, and if he ran into anyone since he was taking such a heavy precaution.

Or maybe this was what I was supposed to be doing the whole time?

Regardless, I really wanted to help, but he told me I'd have to shower again afterward and he didn't want me wasting soap.

So, I was left to sit on the couch alone and watch like a useless little kid.

"One of us is gonna need to go look for more cleaning supplies tomorrow, okay?"

I looked towards the direction of his voice. He was moving from the bathroom to the dining room, going around and wiping down surfaces and door handles quicker than I had ever seen someone clean in my life.

"Yeah, okay..." I replied, watching him intently. "Can't we go together? It might be safer."

He stopped cleaning for a moment like he was debating the idea. He looked at me up and down, almost like he was sizing me up. "It's fine; I'll go."

A little bit of anger rushed to my veins. "I can take care of myself, you know," I grumbled, standing up to walk over to him. He stepped backward slightly, shifting his eyes to the side nervously. I stopped a few feet away, glaring him down.

"Ahhh, don't get too close, muffin," he reminded, "I know you can take care of yourself. I'm just worried, okay?"

I gave him a lopsided frown. "I'm worried about you too, and I want to help!"

He sighed. "We can talk about this tomorrow, okay? Let me finish cleaning."

With a frustrated huff, I sulked back to the couch and sat down, crossing my arms. Being small was already irritating to me, but I was also malnourished. It made me look weak and pale, which was sort of true, but it's not like I was completely helpless. After all, I had survived this long.

About an hour passed when Darryl was finally done cleaning the house and himself for the second time. I had dozed off on the couch, but when he sat down next to me the action woke me up abruptly.

I blinked at him a few times. He had slumped himself against the cushions with exhaustion written all over his features. His hair was still damp from the shower. As I quietly studied him further, I noticed his breathing was deep and fast, but it was starting to slow down.

"You really overwork yourself, dude," I turned towards him on the couch, the annoyance I had from earlier returning slightly. "You should have let me help. You didn't even wake me up before you left this morning."

His only response was him raising his eyebrows slightly with worry. His eyes remained shut as he kept focusing on relaxing. I realized my anger wasn't helping him calm down, so I kept quiet. His face relaxed again, and his breathing returned to normal.

The room was quiet and peaceful. Only Darryl's soft breathing was heard. I leaned against the couch, not taking my eyes off him. In truth, I should just be grateful to have someone around.