FaceTime

(art by: @Dog25874170 on twitter)
————

•Darryl•

My phone rang on the bedside table, waking me up from a deep slumber. I groaned and picked it up, clicking on the green button and putting it to my ear without checking who it was.

"Hello?" I asked with a sleepy voice, already almost passing out again.

"Darryl?" A small voice rang back.

"Skeppy? Err... Zak. Why are you calling me?" I asked, pulling the bright phone away from my ear to check the time. I groaned again. "Zak, it's four in the morning!"

I heard Zak giggle and started paying more attention to his voice. His laugh always made me feel warm.

"Sorry, dude, but I wanted someone to eat cereal with," Zak said. It sounded like movement was happening on the other side.

The phone started ringing again, this time for a video call. I frowned but answered it anyway. "I don't understand what you mean. I'm hanging up," I mumbled, thinking he was probably just trolling me.

"No, Darryl, please! I'm seriously hungry and I don't wanna eat alone!"

His pleas pulled on my heartstrings. I sat up against my forearms and propped the phone against my pillow in front of me so my face was visible to the camera. "Why are you even awake?" I questioned, rubbing my eyes in an attempt to wake myself up a bit, "You know what, whatever. Just eat it quick, fatty."

Zak giggled again and I could see now that he was getting items to make his bowl of cereal. Soon enough, Zak had his phone set up in front of a delicious bowl of something that looked like Cookie Crisp.
I smiled and rolled my eyes at him, watching him poke at the cereal with his spoon.

"Why did you really call me, Zak?" I asked, stuffing my face into an extra pillow next to me.

"I just wanted to talk to you," the boy smiled before stuffing a spoonful of cookie cereal into his mouth.

My heart fluttered. "How am I supposed to respond to that?" I wondered.

I lifted my head up and cleared my throat, feeling a little flushed. "Oh, okay! T-that's fine, muffin."

I could see Zak smile to himself on the other side of the phone. I looked at myself in the camera, noticing my hair was fluffy and messy. I reached over to the desk beside my bed and grabbed my glasses, propping them up against my nose.

Everything was instantly clearer, including the silly boy eating cereal.

"You have major bed head, dude," Zak noted with his mouth full.

I visibly cringed. "Well, this is what you get for calling me at this hour," I laughed, gesturing to my hair.

Zak nodded. "It's cute."

I saw myself instantly turn red in the camera, so I grabbed my pillow and shoved it against my face, which only made Zak laugh.

When I felt calm enough, I lowered the pillow and glared at him. I pushed my glasses up again after having knocked them down with the pillow.

"Is this how you always are when I flirt with you?" Zak asked, stopping his eating to genuinely look at me.

"F-flirt?" I questioned.

"Yeah. Flirt," the small boy mumbled, looking a little nervous, "Anyway, were you having your builders do a new Christmas map for Kit?"

I blinked at him, "Uh, yeah..."

He giggled. "Well, what does it look like?"

My hand subconsciously went up to scratch my head. Everything felt jumbled and squishy in my mind. Which was weird, because I felt I was normally very organized and on top of things.

That probably wasn't true, though.

"Zak, oh my goodness, I seriously cannot move past the flirting thing," I huffed, "Can you just explain what you mean by flirting?"

Zak hummed and stood up, setting his dishes in the sink to wash later. I watched him pick up his phone and head back to his bedroom as I waited for a reply.

"I don't know how to explain it to you without it being weird, dude, " Zak said as one hand went up to mess with the fluff of his hair. He sat down on his bed, fumbling with the covers.

I tilted my head at him with a tiny yawn. My glasses slipped further down my nose, but I was too out of it to bother moving them again. "It's okay, I won't judge or anything, muffin."

Zak was oddly quiet for a moment. I thought maybe he was thinking about his words, so I waited.

"Your mic muted, dude," he stated finally. I felt a wave of irritation at the fact that this would hinder his words.
I squinted my eyes, tapping the screen repeatedly, "Hello? It doesn't say I'm muted."

"I can't hear you! Unmute yourself!"

"What the muffin?" I mumbled, clicking the mute button on and off multiple times. I looked at Zak to see him hiding his red face behind his hands.

"Oh my goodness, Ske—Zak! Stop trolling me!" I grumbled, only seeming to make him giggle harder.

"Okay, okay! My bad," Zak winked and I rolled my eyes in return.

"Mmmm. What were we talking about, anyway?" I yawned again, making my eyes watered up slightly.

"Your Kit PVP server," Zak reminded. I saw him smile before I let my eyes flutter closed. My eyelids felt really heavy.

"Mmm yeah; that's right."

Everything was quiet. I had already forgotten what we were talking about again as I slipped in and out of consciousness until I finally gave in and fell asleep.

"Goodnight, NoobBoyHalo." Zak giggled, adjusting the blankets over himself. He stared at Darryl's peaceful features a moment more before he pressed the end call button

"I'll just have to tell him another day," he thought, letting his eyes close too.

————
Sorry this took me awhile! I'm currently working on a full story SkepHalo book called, "The Five Stages of Grief!"
If you haven't checked it out yet, I'd appreciate it if you did! c:

Updates for this may temporarily be shorter and/or slower, sorry!