Pocket Square

meme format by: @satanic_redd on twitter

(author note:
credit to "editor" kyle for the idea. talked to him about the skephalo drama and he made me feel a lot better about it, and all-in-all gave me the motivation to finish this wip. so uh, everyone pls be thankful for "editor" kyle.

and thank you readers who commented or expressed their opinions on the drama because it helped motivate me a lot to continue writing, and get this chapter out today!!!! thanks for the support <3)
————

Prompt:
A YouTube function event that is essentially a big ball. YouTubers meeting 100,000 subscribers and above are allowed to attend. This years theme is a masquerade party.
-

Zak saw him on the other side of the ballroom instantly. Sure, the lights were dark and Darryl was in a mask, but he could tell that socially awkward muffin apart from anyone.

And the red mask and button up Darryl wore under the suit jacket helped to hint at it as well.

Zak had been a little less creative with his outfit, settling for just a black tux and black mask. He did, however, invest in a light blue handkerchief for his coat pocket.

Zak giggled, watching Darryl scoot awkwardly out of the way of people passing him. Darryl was usually a very outgoing person, but he didn't recognize anyone here, and for him it was hard to talk to strangers. This was completely different from being behind a computer screen.

He was just beginning to think he shouldn't have come when someone approached him. He was slightly shorter, and in a basic black tux. He thought the blue handkerchief was a nice touch, though.

"Wanna dance?" The stranger asked in a voice that sounded a little faked, maybe deeper than normal.

Zak sweated nervously as Darryl raised an eyebrow. He tried to make his voice deeper so Darryl wouldn't recognize him.

It seemed to work, because Darryl took his hand and smiled. "I'd love to."

Zak silently wooed in his head as he pulled Darryl onto the floor. The two danced like maniacs for song after song, laughing like crazy.

Zak tried to muffle his laugh as best he could since he knew it was a dead giveaway to who he was.

Darryl didn't say anything, so he figured he was fine.

Then, a slow song came on. Zak froze up for a moment, not knowing if Darryl was okay to dance to this.

"Come on, you muffin! Don't stop now!" Darryl giggled, pulling Zak closer to him.

Zak blushed deep red. "Sor-" He cleared his throat, and in a much deeper voice, tried again. "Sorry."

The closeness to Darryl made his heart race. He tried to focus, but to no avail as he stepped on Darryl's feet constantly. He didn't really know how to dance, and based on Darryl's consistent giggles he bet it was obvious.

The song ended and the room erupted into cheering and laughter. Zak frowned. The moment seemed only seconds long.

"Darryl. I need to talk with you." Zak spoke deeply. "Let's go somewhere quiet."

"O-okay." Darryl replied, letting Zak take his hand again and lead him into a garden area. Darryl was hit instantly by a calm floral smell. Looking around at all the flowers and fairy lights, he noticed the garden was empty. The only company the two had were the stars and moon above.

Zak sat down on a bench and patted the spot next to him like a kid, offering a smile in the low moonlight.

"What did you wanna tell me?" Darryl asked, sitting down beside the stranger. He examined him carefully, noticing the others fidgeting hands. "Whatever he has to say must be important."