Password

art by: @Fumi03_vee on twitter

Sorry, I've been gone a while! (like two weeks omg) I'm working on my other book too and that has more of my attention. If you haven't checked it out yet, it's called The Five Stages of Grief!

Zak sat criss-cross on the couch facing Darryl. The other nervously stared at the TV in front of him, trying to ignore Zak as his high pitched voice snapped arguments at him.

"Dude! You lost the bet! You have to give me your phone," Zak giggled, holding his hand out. The older boy had his phone clutched tightly to his chest with a reluctant look in his eyes.

"Just hang on a second," Darryl stalled, "What are you going to tweet?"

Zak retracted his hand in order to put both of them over his mouth to muffle his laughter. Zak's hair was messy, as it usually was this time at night. As Darryl stared back at his light pink, giddy face, he thought of how always resembled that of a child on Christmas morning. The combination of it all made Darryl's stomach flip.

"I can't tell you. Just give me the phone!"

Darryl rolled his eyes and pulled the phone away from himself to stare at the lock screen, deciding what to do.

Lock screen!

"Okay, fatty. Take it." Darryl smiled, handing the phone over to Zak.

The small boy looked a mixture of excited and confused, wondering where all the reluctance his friend had before had gone. He turned on the screen and his expression morphed to disappointment.

"What's the password?" Zak whined, bouncing on his knees like a child throwing a fit.

"I'm not telling you," Darryl scoffed, "You have to guess! Then you can tweet out whatever you want."

Zak pouted some more, but unlike usual, Darryl wasn't giving in.

The young boy's eyes sparkled mischievously. "Knowing Darryl, It has to be something simple," he thought.

"What's your dog's name?" He asked.

"Rat."

"Her name is actually rat?" Zak giggled, looking up from the phone.

"Well, no, it's Lucy... But don't tell anyone!"

Zak nodded, typing in both "Rat" and "Lucy." To his disappointment, neither worked.

"How many letters is it?"

Darryl paused nervously for a moment as Zak continued to enter random things.

"Three," the hesitating boy mumbled, scratching his head with a pink blushing face.

Zak raised an eyebrow at him briefly before returning his attention back to the phone.

"It's totally my name," Zak laughed jokingly.

"W-wait, no. It's not." Darryl swallowed, looking away from Zak's face to the floor. He cursed himself for saying anything. His hands suffering felt clammy and he couldn't stop his thumbs from running loops around each other.

He could feel Zak staring intently at him, probably noticing how his nervous ticks were coming out.

Zak shifted in his seat, holding the phone tightly in his hands in case Darryl tried to take it from him. Without saying anything, he typed his own name into Darryl's phone.

The phone unlocked.

"You're a bad liar, dude!" Zak laughed, flipping the phone around to show Darryl the unlocked screen.

Darryl's face instantly became five times redder. He opened his mouth up to speak but nothing came out. He was left, mouth agape, staring from the unlocked phone to Zak repeatedly.

Zak wiggled the phone around in the air with a smirk. "Why was your password my name, Bad?"

Darryl gulped. "Ah, S-Skeppy—"

"Or should I say, Darryl?"

Darryl cleared his throat, leaning backward away from Zak. They didn't use real names often, and the surprise that came from his own name rolling off Zak's tongue made him feel like he couldn't breathe—almost in a good way. He stopped making eye contact, opting to study the threading on the couch instead. "Just hurry up and tweet so I can get my phone back."

The mischievous boy felt a twinge of guilt and his smile lessened a bit. He didn't like it when Darryl felt embarrassed or sad.

"Hey, if you can take this phone from me right now," Zak help the phone obnoxiously close to Darryl's face, "Then I'll forget about all of this and I won't tweet anything from your account."

Darryl stared at the phone in front of him for a moment before deciding it was a good deal.

He quickly reached his arm out to grab the phone, but Zak whisked it away at the last second.

Darryl's fists clenched in frustration and he let out a small groan. Zak annoyingly mocked his groan back at him, holding the phone behind his head where Darryl couldn't reach.

Darryl shook his head as his agitation built up. In a blind frustration, he lunged forward and on top of Zak, seizing the phone out of the small boys grasp. "Ah-ha!"

The male below Darryl let out a squeal of protest, pushing against Darryl's chest with his trapped hand while his other, now empty, shook wildly in the air like it had been attacked.

Realizing that Zak was probably uncomfortable, Darryl dropped the phone to be forgotten and hoisted himself up on his hands above his friend. Zak took a deep breath, adjusting his arms so he was more comfortable. Darryl made note that Zak's face was beet red.

"S-Sorry, muffin! I didn't mean—"

"Nah, it's fine dude!" Zak giggled, staring up at Darryl's eyes.

They stayed like that for a moment until Darryl's glasses began sliding dangerously down his nose. Zak noticed and gently took them off, placing them against his own chest.

As Darryl continued to stare back at Zak with slight astonishment, the smaller boy cleared his throat. "What are you staring at?" He giggled.

Darryl blinked, embarrassingly. "You're adorable, muffin," he blushed, not breaking eye contact. Zak's eyes widened in surprise.

Unable to resist, Zak grabbed Darryl by his shirt and pulled him close enough to smash their lips together. Darryl winced from the quick change of position but softened up when he realized what was happening.

Zak was kissing him. His hidden desires were coming true.

Zak's hands moved up from Darryl's shirt to gently cup his face, making the older boy nearly weak. His arms shook, threatening to lose hold and make him fall at any second.

Zak pushed Darryl away slightly to take a breath of air. The blushing boy on top of him made a tiny gasping sound before exhaling. He looked like he was in disbelief about his situation.

Zak smirked. "So, does this mean I can set my password to your name now?"