Gay Maze

art (elevator) by Skeppy

prompt request by: gaY_iDioT14
prompt: going to a hay maze + getting stuck and freaking out
————

⚠️anxious/claustrophobic themes⚠️

Zak stared the entrance of the maze down dramatically. "Are you ready to go in?" He asked, moving his gaze over to his friend Darryl.

Darryl shifted uncomfortably. Unbeknownst to Zak, he was sort of claustrophobic. He didn't like the idea of being lost in a tight, confined area. He put on a bright smile, masking his inner suffering. "Y-yeah! Let's do it!"

Zak smiled at him and grabbed his hand to pull him into the hay maze. Darryl sighed, relieved from the friendly contact. However, almost immediately Zak released his hand and Darryl felt jumpy all over again.

They wondered on in random directions. Zak mostly chose the way as Darryl trailed by his side—a little closer than normal. As the minutes passed, Darryl's anxiety increased.

"What if we can't get out?" He wondered out loud, a cold shiver going down his back. His friend stopped walking to look back at him playfully.

"Of course we can! We're the dream team!" He recalled the memories of them teaming for Minecraft Monday and felt his adrenaline pump in his chest. Darryl smiled at him, feeling reassured, and they kept walking. The older muffin resisted the urge to grab Zak's hand again.

A few more minutes of wondering around passed before Zak stopped abruptly again, causing Darryl to crash into his backside.

"What? What is it?" He panicked, pushing his glasses up.

Zak groaned. "I swear we have passed this spot now three times! You suck at this!" He joked, annoyed the stupid maze was seriously taking them this long.

Darryl frowned and didn't respond, making Zak worry a little.

"Oh God, he's definitely not having fun right now." The short boy racked his brain for a way to make this more enjoyable for his friend since he was the one who dragged Darryl into this.

He looked at Darryl for a moment before and idea came to him. The older boy raised an eyebrow as the all too familiar mischievous grin appeared on Zak's face.

"Last one out has to buy dinner!" Zak cheered before racing off in a random direction.

Immediately, Darryl's mind flooded with panic. "W-Wait! Skeppy," His mind slipped, "Zak! Zak, come back!"

He ran after him, already coming to a fork on the pathway. He heard his friend giggle and quickly set off in that direction, chasing the sound.

He stopped again at another turn, straining his ears to listen for running or laughter, but it was dead quiet now.

He quietly cursed himself in his head before turning around to back track. "Maybe he went the other way!"

As he turned in another direction to gather his bearings, he confused himself. "Wait, did I come from here, or there?" His eyes flipped back and forth between two lanes. He lifted a hand to his hair and pulled in frustration, feeling the fear rise in his chest. The maze walls seemed to start closing in on him and he felt dizzy.

He ran circles around the maze, panic causing him to start choosing random directions instead of logically thinking. Somewhere along, he tripped and hit the gravel with a soft cry, reaching around to find his discarded glasses. He couldn't see now.

He patted the ground desperately, but to no avail. The hay bales seemed to taunt him in his search, threatening to close in and suffocate him at any second. He squeezed his eyes tight and scooted into the corner of the maze, wishing for everything to end already.