New Friend (2)

Word Count: 1889

As Zak walked home from baseball practice, it began to occur to him that this probably wasn't a dream. It felt way too real, and he suspected if he was asleep he would have woken up by now.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket, opening the contact he had created for Ashley.

•~~~~~•

August 13, 20XX 6:48 pm

Zak:
hey this is zak
did today actaually happen?
delivered, 6:48 pm

•~~~~~•

He put his phone into his pocket. As he waited for a response, he eyed the sky above him and took note of the light blue beauty of it. His mind began imagining how small and insignificant he was compared to the infinite size of the universe, but was interrupted as Ashley sent him a reply.

•~~~~~•

August 13, 20XX 6:48 pm

Zak:
hey this is zak
did today actaually happen?

Ashley:
Uh I think so ?
I don't know how to explain to you what is going on
But let's not look into it too much

Zak:
uh ok
as long as yuo dont use me or darryl for bad then its whetaever
and youre heplful and nto abusive
read 6:51 pm

Ashley:
Do you like Darryl?

Zak blushed, hovering his thumbs over the keys and stopping in place. He didn't expect a response like that as it was completely unrelated to what they were talking about. Before he could begin to think about what to say, Ashley had sent another text.

Ashley:
I mean you guys seem like good friends, but you said he was cute in class so...?

Zak:
actually we jsut met tdoay
we started talking becuase i spilled his fodo tray on him in the cafetereria...

Ashley:
LOL
Also why are you so bad at typing

Zak:
shtu up
read 7:02 pm

•~~~~~•

After waiting a few minutes, Zak realized he had been left of read.

"At least she's not asking any more embarrassing questions," Zak thought, closing Ashley's text chat to open a blank one with Darryl.

"I'll wait to text him until I get home," Zak decided, putting his phone away to continue the tired trek to his house.

•••

Several hours after his after-school nap, Darryl awoke to his phone buzzing furiously in his pocket. With a tiny groan, he pulled it out and squinted his eyes at the screen to see several texts from an unknown number.

Pulling Zak's hoodie closer to him, he blushed remembering the incidents of the day.

•~~~~~•

August 13, 20XX  7:14 pm

Unknown:
hey darry
darryl*
lol darry
It's zak
sorry for splilling food on you
but I hope my hoodie was comfortable ;)