ii. Pretty Hate Machine

two pretty hate machine

       WHEN HARRY, IN ALL OF HIS BOY WONDER GLORY, appears at Grimmauld Place, Mia is standing at the bottom of the staircase, arms crossed and her bottom lip jutted out. The rest of the children are upstairs, trying their best to keep hidden. Apparently Mrs Weasley doesn't want them listening in, with all of the Order stuff. In a shocking twist of fate, as it seems when the Gryffindors realised, Mia doesn't want to know what's going on. Emilia said Mia could sit in the meetings, if she wanted, but before Mia could even answer, Sirius said that he didn't want her getting involved in any of this. Which makes sense, considering his involvement in this got him sent to Azkaban, but also? Why doesn't he want her helping out?

       Everyone else is standing around upstairs, thinking Harry's arriving in the morning instead. Mia's on the staircase. She's actually got to walk to her work in a half-hour — she isn't working today, but, this is the day they give out people's wages, and since she's paid in cash, she's got to walk there to pick them up. It makes zero sense but sometimes muggles don't.

       The important thing is: Mia's getting paid. Mia cannot wait to have all of that money. It's going to be amazing. She could buy some eyeshadow, one that's a bronze glitter, or maybe she can some new shoes... Oh, no, she'll go to those shops on Oxford Street and buy tons of earrings. Mia loves earrings. She has four piercings: two in each lobe, and then two in her left ear's cartilage. She loves earrings with little diamonds, she thinks it's pretty when they glitter...

       Anyway.

       Harry turns up with the Order behind him. Mrs Weasley pulls him into a hug, and it sounds stupid of Mia, but it makes her feel even more excluded. She doesn't know the Weasleys, yeah, but it really highlights how out of place Mia is, when everyone is hugged by this woman — Briar Crouch makes sure, but even the Malfoy got a nice little hug, too — and then there's Mia, grumpily standing on her own, finding comfort in her grandmother's equally pissed off portrait.