xxi. The Before, Pt. II

twenty-one the before, part ii

( briar )

       WELL... THEY DID NOT EXPECT THAT.

       Like, Briar's always known that people decide their own destiny — but Malecrit, no one has ever skirted off from her predictions like that before. Wow. Briar's in shock. She wishes she had seen this coming, because maybe then, she could've tried to help, tried to alter the ending so it wasn't this... Because they were meant to last. This was meant to be it, for both of them. Briar swears on that. She's never wrong about these things. She felt that divine connection between the two — same reason why she was always drawn to Fred — but sometimes... people's minds and emotions change the ways the stars aligned.

       "Maybe it'll work out, later on," says Briar, to George.

       She was called to Hogsmeade an hour ago; Fred got her a parchment pad a couple years ago, so the two can instantly see the other's letters, and he wrote to her, you need to get here, ASAP. Briar has never gotten a message that urgent before. So she Apparated to Hogsmeade, and Fred snuck her into school, so she could be involved in this group discussion.

       "Will it?" he says, looking up at her.

       They're all huddled in the Room of Requirement, a weird room that they use, apparently, for Dumbledore's Army. Fred says that it's super-useful, that it conjures up everything they need for the lessons. Lee says it's fantastic. Briar thinks there's a draught.

       Briar frowns. "I don't think I should tell you."

       "You told me it would work out," he points out.