xv. Divine Hand

fifteen divine hand

       IT TOOK UNTIL DECEMBER FOR MIA to realise how well and truly awful Umbridge was.

       Thing is, Mia doesn't do Defence anymore. Firstly, she hates the subject with a passion — until recently, she thought she'd be safe with her magic protecting her — and secondly, do you realise how difficult it is, following a curriculum that changes every single year? Not even that, but Mia finds it boring. Unless a war happens, Mia isn't going to have to defend herself. And she can now, anyway, or at least she's working towards it, so it's fine. But, the fact of the matter is, since she doesn't do Defence, she only met Umbridge that one time for that detention. Since then, it's been nothing.

       But now that Umbridge is the High Inquisitor of the school — a title that she made up — she's going to every single class, criticising the teacher. Mia would like to add, dear reader, that Umbridge herself was not a teacher until three months ago, but apparently Umbridge has forgotten this detail.

       Mia was rather enjoying the blissful ignorance she was living in, not knowing a single thing about Umbridge's doing, too.

       "You should've seen her in Potions," says George, at lunch. He's sitting next to Mia, like he normally does. She feels his thigh brush against hers as he fidgets; both of them freeze. She feels awfully conscious of how her skirt's ridden up since sitting down, and even though she's got tights on, she can see the amount of her skin brushing against George's leg.

       Maybe she should pull her skirt down a little, or cross her leg so their thighs aren't completely pressed into the others. The hairs on the back of her neck are standing up. She held his hand, sure, after the Quidditch match but that was different. This isn't a private moment. This is completely public, completely casual. Like there's an outward declaration: they both froze, sure, but this says, this 'thing' is going somewhere.