xiii. Unlucky Hour

thirteen lucky hour

       THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY, MIA'S managed to get a permission slip to see her mum, now she's out of the hospital for good. She was allowed out the day after Mia's first visit, but due to the nature of the attack, it was decided that Emilia should have a couple weeks off work, while they figure out who attacked her. Mia still doesn't want to know those details, but she wants to see her mum, now she's better, so Mia's excited.

       She knows it's out of the ordinary for Mia to get permission like this, but somehow her and Sprout managed to talk Umbridge into allowing it — apparently all out-of-school visits have to be approved by her, the 'High Inquisitor' of Hogwarts. A term she invented, mind you. It's just as bad as You-Know-Who. Mia feels like titles have zero meaning when you're giving it to yourself... She says, having personally decided to go by Mia, and not Emilia... Anyway.

       Umbridge had a thing about it. It was, what, the third time they had spoken, since Mia doesn't do Defence — and since the first two were because Mia called her demented, Mia knew she wouldn't have her best intentions in mind.

       "Have you heard anything from your father, since his escape?" Umbridge had asked, her lips pursed like raisins. Apparently wanting to see your mum, who almost died, is not enough to want to visit? Um?

       Mia frowned back at her. "No?" she said, lying. She took a page out of her own book, three weeks ago, and added, "In the nicest way, have you ever heard of him, trying to find me?"

       Umbridge considered this. "No, I have not."

       "He only wants Harry Potter," Mia had said, sighing. She made sure to say his full name, so Umbridge thinks Mia doesn't know him... She doesn't, to be fair, but still. You get the idea. Full names establish distance, a lack of a relationship. "... And I want nothing to do with him."