xix. Patronuses

nineteen patronuses

       THE LAST DAY OF THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS is a stressful one.

       She'll set the scene: it's three in the afternoon, just past lunchtime, and Mia finds herself in the living room, alongside Harry. Mia's doing schoolwork, just as Hermione helps Harry with the next D.A. meeting plan. Ron's there, too, but he isn't listening, instead eating a box of chocolates leftover from the week before. Hermione's trying her best to help out, but of course, Harry's Harry, and he says he doesn't want her help. The two of them figure out that the next D.A. meeting should be towards the end of January — "Start of February, maybe, at the latest... Just so we can see how things are going with Umbridge..."

       And then they mention what the lesson's going to be.

       Patronuses.

       Mia doesn't want to learn about Patronuses. Quite honestly, this has been the lesson she's been dreading, ever since it was mentioned. Mia knows that she isn't going to be able to do it, and she's going to be standing there, like a fucking fool, whilst everyone else does it, perfectly. She knows that'll happen, because it's always her that can't do it... If it took her extra time to figure out expelliarmus, of all spells, how does she expect herself to manage a whole entire Patronus?

       She won't be able to do it, she can tell you that now. So she'll be there, in that awful room, unable to perform the spell whilst everyone smiles because they can...

       January turns into February, and the meeting's still unannounced. February begins to trudge along, in the awful way February always does, and slowly, March takes it's place. Mia's waiting anxiously, for the day she walks down to breakfast and discovers she's got to confront the Patronus lesson soon. But, still, as March steadily moves along, the sun beginning to shine more, Mia waits — and waits and waits, until the end of March arrives, and she's told, "First of April, we've got the D.A. lesson."