xvii. Cool Girl

seventeen cool girl

       THE HOLIDAYS ARE OFF TO A GOOD start, Mia thinks, as the next day rolls around and Mia wakes up, George holding her, still. She doesn't think he's awake yet, and she knows she needs to start getting ready soon, but she doesn't want to move just yet. She feels like such a dork, enjoying this feeling, but she can't help it.

       Or, at least, that's until she hears footsteps on the staircase, and without a moment's hesitation, she knows they belong to her dad.

       "Fuck," she says out-loud.

       George had been holding her fairly tightly, but the force she uses, to sit up, breaks that grip, waking him up. He frowns, lazily rubbing his eyes as he sits up. "Um... What's the prob—?"

       "Mia," her dad calls out, on the other side of the door.

       Mia looks across at George, who's eyes have widened.

       "One minute, Dad!" says Mia, and as she jumps out of bed, wrapping herself in her massive cardigan, she sees George grabbing the clothes he left on the floor the night before, and Apparating out of the room; Mia slams the bathroom door just as he Apparates, to try and muffle the noise.

       She opens the bedroom door, to find her dad, oblivious.

       "Morning, M," he says. "I know it's late, but I was thinking we could maybe go shopping, to get your Christmas presents... I've spoken to Remus and I'll use Polyjuice Potion, so everyone thinks you're out with your godfather. It'll be completely safe, no one will suspect a thing..."

       Mia frowns. "I mean, that would be really nice," she says. "But... I don't think I've ever spent any time with him, surely that would look a little strange...?"