It's Just Gay Fluff (2)

"TEN, NINE, EIGHT—" We all yell the numbers at the top of our lungs, counting down the seconds until the New Year.

This is the most alive I think I've ever felt and my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

And now, as we count down the last few seconds... "—THREE, TWO, ONE! HAPPY NEW Y—" The last word is interrupted by Emerald's lips crashing into mine.

The perfect ending to a pretty perfect year.

I'm taken aback at first. We've been officially together for about a year and a half, and by now it's no secret, but we're never usually very affectionate around other people. I couldn't care less right now, though, as I lean into the kiss. Time seems to have stopped completely.

When we pull away, my arms still around her neck, my eyes stay on her. Everyone else in the room has vanished as far as I'm concerned. A long night full of laughter, dancing, and singing along to music has made for her hair to be disheveled, the dyed black strands sticking up in every which way. Her eye makeup is smudged, and half of the red that was on her lips is probably now on mine.

And I think she's beautiful.

"Okay, you two, it's been 2009 for a full minute now and you're still just staring at each other." And there goes Frank, ruining the moment.

I jump away from my girlfriend, feeling my face flush red when everyone laughs. This is one of those times that I really wish I was any good at coming up with comebacks on the spot. I'll probably be in bed later when the perfect one comes to me, but for now I just smile awkwardly. Em, on the other hand, just laughs along.

"Yeah, Eve, that was pretty gay of you."

"Dammit, stop being so funny," I mumble.

"I don't think I will." Emerald pats me on the shoulder. When everyone's gone back to paying attention to anything that isn't us two "lovebirds" (for example, Mikey is fervently objecting to being pulled on to the dance floor by his own girlfriend), she turns to me again with a more serious look in her eye. "Can we talk somewhere that's not here? Just for a minute?"

"Oh, um, yeah. Let's just..." I trail off as I take her hand in mine, weaving through the crowded living room. As I do, I make eye contact with Gerard. He's got that Concerned Dad look on his face, so I flash him a quick smile, even though as far I know his concern might well be justified.

We enter the kitchen to find it empty other than Lindsey, who's busying herself by refilling a snack bowl.

"Good thing it's the end of the night. We're out of pretty much everything," she says, tipping the remaining potato chips into a bowl. Then, she stares dismally into the empty bag. "But I was really craving sour cream and onion."

"Yeah, that's unfortunate." I laugh nervously. "Maybe people should start leaving soon?"

It doesn't even take the light tilt of my head toward the doorway for her to get the hint, and she goes back into the living room.

Leaning as casually as possible against the kitchen counter, I ask, "So, what's up, Em?" I cross my arms over my chest.

"I just wanted to say, um, thank you?" Em looks down at the floor, but I still catch a glimpse of the light blush growing on her cheeks.

"For- for what?"

"Well, you know, the beginning of this year— I mean, last year was really rough. And even though you have your own stuff to deal with, you didn't leave me, or anything. You really got me through it."

As I've said, a lot can happen in two years. Another one of those things being the fact that Emerald's father up and left his family. He was an asshole, we all know that, but that didn't make the whole ordeal any less traumatizing.