A Happy Day (36)

That night, I cried until I felt like my lungs might give out, and ignored the constant buzzing of my phone that was Emerald wondering what was going on. She was smarter than that, though. When she didn't get an excited, celebratory call, she knew exactly what was going on.

I'm determined to make day one of my three days before being sent to Hell worthwhile if only to make Gerard happy and live up to what he told me. "We have to make the best of the time we have left." Even so, I had to force myself out of bed. My head was pounding when I woke up, probably thanks to all the crying I'd done last night up until I fell asleep in Gerard's arms, and he insisted I take a couple pain killers.

I, on the other hand, insisted I didn't need them. I wanted to let myself suffer, but he won in the end.

When Gerard asked me where I wanted to go for lunch, I looked past his shoulder at Mikey who had previously been leaning against the counter, but was now jumping up and down mouthing, "Sushi, sushi, sushi."

I decide to stray from my usual cheese pizza or Chinese food and sigh, "I think Mikey would kneecapitate me if I didn't say sushi right now."

"Yes!" Gee starts jumping up and down like his brother and it makes me wonder if I'm the adult here, but then he stops, raising an eyebrow. "Wait— did you just say kneecapitate?"

"Yes, that is exactly what I said." I nod once and leave it at that, then go up to my room to get ready. I decide to put a little more effort into my appearance today because, although I know Emerald has seen me at some of my worst times, I want to look nice for her. I want our last full day out together to remind her not of how much of a mess I am, but of how she gives me a reason to get up in the morning, to try to get through the day, and of how she completes me.

I settle on a pair of black denim overalls hidden in the back of my closet I've always been too self conscious to wear, thinking they'd be too childish for a sixteen year old. Pairing it with a black and white striped long sleeved T-shirt, I'm satisfied with my reflection after I apply some light makeup (mostly black eyeliner), and then put my still-vibrant red hair into two little pigtails. I'm glad that it's gotten long enough at this point to do that, having been inspired by Lindsey.

If I'm alone for too long, my mind will start drifting to places I don't want it to be, so I quickly leave my room and head back downstairs. Gerard, Mikey, and Lindsey are already at the front door waiting for me, so I waste no time in pulling on my black combat boots.

"You look so cute!" Lindsey says, looking my outfit up and down.

"Thanks!" I smile, then shrug. "I guess this is what happens when I try."

We meet Ray and Christa, Frank and Jamia, and Emerald at the mall. When Em sees me, she immediately runs towards me, her hair flying behind her. It's not like some slow motion scene at the end of a romance; she almost knocks me over. She nuzzles her head in my shoulder as though we aren't being watched by seven adults and stammers uncharacteristically, "Evie, I- I just can't believe—"

"Let's not talk about it now," I say lowly, as much for my sake as hers, worried we'll both break down in the middle of this very public place. "This is supposed to be a happy day."

She nods, then takes my hand, squeezing it tightly. "You look hot, by the way," she whispers.

I feel my face flush.