All Cookies Deserve Love (7)

Saturdays without homework are the best days. They're perfect for Emerald and I to go out without the underlying worry of the work or studying we're procrastinating on. Well, maybe for me anyway. Em always gets her work done as soon as possible. Me? Not so much. I'm still holding on to my hope that this new year will be procrastination-free, though.

"Where should we go?" I ask Em as I work on lacing up my black Converse near the front door.

She came over earlier this morning and we'd just been hanging out in my room until we decided we should go out for lunch. Usually we go to that same little coffee shop where we had our first date. It was an unofficial date, but I always look back on it with a smile, remembering how badly I wanted to hold her hand as we walked there side by side.

How oblivious I was to how she wanted to hold mine, in turn.

"I hear there's this new place not far from our usual spot," she suggests, grabbing my shoulder before I lose my balance while I still tie my shoes. "Do you need me to do that for you?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, not that she'd see it because I'm looking down at my feet. "I don't need my girlfriend to tie my shoes for me."

"Yes you do!" I hear Gerard yell from the living room.

"You're not part of this conversation!" I yell back.

He emerges from the other room and leans against the wall. He's got on a plain black T-shirt which I'm envious of for the simple fact that you can never get a plain black shirt in the women's section of any store. They all have to be cut short, or have an open back, or some weird graphic printed on it. "Where are you two headed?" he asks, looking between us.

I look over at Emerald, gesturing for her to answer the question, as I finally stand up straight. My shoes are tied in un-neat bows that'll either loosen within a few minutes or never be able to be untied.

"A new place not too far. I can't remember what it's called," she says.

Gee nods. "If it's any good, get me a—"

"Yes," I cut him off, knowing exactly the words about to leave his mouth. "We'll feed your coffee addiction."

"I wouldn't go that far."

I raise my eyebrows at him and I even hear Emerald snicker from beside me. She knows this family very well by now. And, to think, that a couple years ago she was just a band-obsessed teenager who was star-stricken every time she came for dinner. Now she's just a band-obsessed teenager.

Gee rolls his eyes at us. "Here." He hands me a five dollar bill. "Get me a cookie or something, too."

"What kind of cookie?" I ask, shoving the bill in the front pocket of my hoodie along with my own money and my phone.

I watch as he turns and walks back into the living room. He shrugs, calling over his shoulder. "I don't care, all cookies deserve love."

"Oatmeal raisin it is." I smirk.

"Just get back before 4, me and the guys are going to the studio."

• • •

The walk to the new coffee shop is pleasant. Em and I hold hands and quietly take in the scenery. The scenery that we've taken in maybe hundreds of times before, sure, but it'll still will cease to be beautiful.

We swing our arms as we walk and it reminds me of something I've always wondered about.

"Hey, Em?" Neither of us had spoken in a while, the only sound being a light breeze in our ears, our feet kicking up the gravel as we walk, and cars going by.